Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
man......my back fu@kin hurts.......i wretched it some yesterday moving a big Ultra Classic...a 900 pound beast of a bike. gravity dictated the bike to go one way, i wanted it go the other.....the mending busted midget fu@k won, but now i'm paying that toll......ouch....slept like **** too.

ok....some may remember when i bought a few lighting pieces from a gent on e-bay.......he's the guy that told me the "American Cibie community is quite small and now you're part of it".

either way, we've become pretty good "not face to face" friends.....we call each other on the phone for no real reson kinda friends.....and he's cool as hell. restores vintage Porsche's, BMW's and the like....also has a regular repair business. he's in Geaorgia.

Brother Al got a set of Cibie 95's from him.....and i just bought Bi-Oscar lenses for Super Oscar lamps i don't have yet, LOL......fu@kin addict fu@k i am.

here's one of his e-bay listings. if you're looking for what he has, you CAN"T go wrong. i vouch for him 100%.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cibie-serie...ash=item4b142bb212:g:Tb8AAOSw4GVYUZtS&vxp=mtr

we probably got tighter during my quest for the bulb holders for those 35 parts i got bought from him.

let's just say he has a good supply of NOS Cibie products.......i'll leave that there........for instance the first thing i bought was the quad set of 5 3/4" Cibies e-codes, i figured i stole that considering the low beams go for around $80-$120 new when you can find them for sale in America......Mr Stern is probably the best source for them....and most widely known to be the "go to" guy for all things Cibie.

these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Cib...306147?hash=item4b14404f63:g:bowAAOSwux5YUB9O

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
oh yea....before i forget.

anyone looking for a project car? a '74 Corvette coupe.....most of the bull work has been done already, chassis and main body stuff. i can get more info or put ya in touch with him if interested. that's all i know right now.

so....he knew i've been looking for a set SC lights....another "clouds parting" holy grail type set.......they're virtually unobtainium for less than the cost of a lung or leg.

here's an OLD listing...of course they don't have sock anymore: http://www.autosportpa.com.au/product/236
a more current add for the surface mount version....lenses only: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=10724

here's the old link again for the light testing a magazine did: http://jd.offroadtb.com/light_comparison.pdf

he sent me an old serviceable combo set for testing. the LP driving and VA cornering lenses. now i have to buy Oscar housing to stuff em into. yea.....where's that dang 12 step program....."my name is Bill and i'm addicted to Cibie lighting"....i knew quite a few drug dealers that used the same tactics.......oh the sorrow.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
so Jackson fu@ked me up by sending me these SC lenses.......i had just bought these from him a week ago. we'll get to them later.
You must be registered for see images attach

those are the fog/driving Bi-Oscar....they use an H4 bulb......i have some "no box" NOS Super Oscars coming from England to put THESE lenses into......they were going to kill "two birds with one stone" and clean up the front of my truck.......now i'm back to confused......such a luxury problem, huh?

thank God i'm living alone again.....:rolleyes:

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
Bill, my lights might just be a little high. when i took a nighttime frontal, they looked 'in my face'. one for sure is not aimed like the other.
picked up the grille. a few peeling chrome spots but overall not bad. had a 'new looking' pair of 225/85/16's so i got those too. he's one of those 'we buy junk cars' people and runs across great deals all day long. he's gonna call me when he gets a black hood.
cool dude and we could of talked for hours.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
here's the old link again for the light testing a magazine did: http://jd.offroadtb.com/light_comparison.pdf

Thanks for the link, although I am not sure I agree completely with the results of their testing. For one, note the Hella entries, anyone else think that their driving and spot beams are pretty close to the same? Same with the Oscar SC, both were driving beams. Others used a combo of two different optics.

While they were all more or less aimed the same, it would have been nice to see the testing with a pair of the same lights vs a pair of similar optic lights.

Did anyone catch the lateral lux measurement on the Cibie Oscar SC>? 46.2 lux. This was at 10 meters, 4 meters to the side of the lighting rig.

With the pictures all taken with the same exposure settings, you can compare directly from one to another.

Notice most all of the other lights have some unfocused stray light directly in front of the rig that will degrade your night vision? The ground directly in front is brighter than the pattern from the Oscar SC... even though the Oscar puts up a wickedly high lateral number, light is kept off the ground directly in front of the rig.

All in all, a decent test with actual lux measurements... yay for that!

Last edited:

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
so Jackson fu@ked me up by sending me these SC lenses.......i had just bought these from him a week ago. we'll get to them later.

those are the fog/driving Bi-Oscar....they use an H4 bulb......i have some "no box" NOS Super Oscars coming from England to put THESE lenses into......they were going to kill "two birds with one stone" and clean up the front of my truck.......now i'm back to confused......such a luxury problem, huh?

thank God i'm living alone again.....:rolleyes:

Super Oscars... man those are the size of a dinner plate!!!

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i've determined these re the long range lamps

and these would be the famous cornering lamps

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, although I am not sure I agree completely with the results of their testing. For one, note the Hella entries, anyone else think that their driving and spot beams are pretty close to the same? Same with the Oscar SC, both were driving beams. Others used a combo of two different optics.

While they were all more or less aimed the same, it would have been nice to see the testing with a pair of the same lights vs a pair of similar optic lights.

Did anyone catch the lateral lux measurement on the Cibie Oscar SC>? 46.2 lux. This was at 10 meters, 4 meters to the side of the lighting rig.

With the pictures all taken with the same exposure settings, you can compare directly from one to another.

Notice most all of the other lights have some unfocused stray light directly in front of the rig that will degrade your night vision? The ground directly in front is brighter than the pattern from the Oscar SC... even though the Oscar puts up a wickedly high lateral number, light is kept off the ground directly in front of the rig.

All in all, a decent test with actual lux measurements... yay for that!

i agree with your assessment of that test....it took a while for me to wrap my head around the Lightforce entry though.....i never did it, but it seems that it's fairly comon practice to have ONE of each lamp style for a set out front......espectiall for the rallye racing cars. there was a class where only TWO aux lamps were allowed....that's when the Bi-Oscars were born, two lights in one.

yea...46 on the scale is RIDICULOUS! and you'll see from the pictures just how they went about doing it......i had an idea how they accomplished this when Jackson explained how the parabola did the work behind a dead clear lens......but to see it in person is quite "enlightening".....apparently i'm not smart enough to have know this before receiving the actual assembly, it impressive.

i'm DYING to see what the road looks like behind these lights......of course they're not legal for road use where as the Bi-Oscars are.