Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I am about to crash for the night, but if it blows a fuse by itself with the switch off, might be your alarm installation.

ok...thanks for that. i'll check the fuses in the alarm harness....after that it has to go back to the guy that installed it......fu@k!

come to think of it the blue LED on the antennae is flashing differently....like a code of sorts.

thanks

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would suspect the addition.

why would it blow with no light on? only thing on was the courtesy light in the cab.....headlight switch OFF, click, blown......wouldn't the parking lights need to be powered to blow from a grounded wire?
unless it has something to do with the alarm......that uses that circuit.

My experiences with aftermarket remote starters/alarms are not good. Ive had a number of them and all became headaches eventually. My '92 has a remote start. It stopped working awhile ago. I discovered the kit used about 6ft of harness that was wire-tied and zip-tied to a dash support... why so much? No idea.
My 1st instinct was to tear it all out, but upon examining the rats nest, I decided to leave it all alone, until I can find an uncut one to replace it with. Too many things going on in there and a soldering together a few cut wires in that tight space makes me cringe.

Michael, I was a tin knocker once upon a long time ago. Sadly, there are few shops in this area that can fabricate something Id like, and I doubt any would do it for under $400. Many sheetmetal/fabrication shops went **** up in 2007/08 and most of what is left specializes in HVAC ductwork or aircraft tech... getting the bends right and figuring out the jigs for a one-off job is a MF and not many have a quality mandrel bending machine on hand...time, skill and patience equates to $$$$.

I will check into that company tho, Thank You!.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Perfect! I'll grab up some wire this week and be ready to go! After all the research I'm whole heartedly leaning on yalls expertise for sure. (Why reinvent the wheel if it's already been figured out. ). I picked up the sylvanias suggested above locally tonight and got them installed. It's gonna be odd for sure getting used to that brown light again! Ugh! But for $8 for a set I can't go wrong! Even running off the stock lighting it's so much better of a pattern. They don't "look" as bright to me, but I feel like they throw better than the brighter hid's. I'm very much looking forward to cranking up the current for these guys so they can hit their full potential. With having brand new lights installed yesterday and new bulbs I've still got some tweaking until I'm perfectly happy with beam placement but so far they seem to have more throw already.

I looked up the H1R?? Something or other bulbs you suggested for high beams. They looked kinda like a globe bulb. Is this the correct bulb you were suggesting ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just adding my 2 cents, this the the 9011 HIR1 high beam bulb I am using in my Spyder lens I got off Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480J5CW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 because of the fact the Spyder is an aftermarket assembly, I didn't have to trim the tab on that 9011 HIR1 bulb tab; and yes I too am a convert to the relay wiring harness. I got my harness from LMC truck and one for my sons 2000 Yukon XL. The bad thing with that harness, when he was trying to find the bulb he (my son) wanted to use the 'ear tab' catcher on the high beam plug ended up breaking off both of those tabs on both high beam plugs. Thankfully they are a snug fit so they are staying connected on the bulbs. I posted pictures earlier in this thread, this is with the left bulb on the harness and the right not. http://www.gmt400.com/threads/spyde...ighting-in-general.36647/page-139#post-947849

Because of lack of space between my battery and the fresh air intake, I got power from one of those two studs over by the under hood fuse box. I believe they are fused at 30 amp and they seem to supply plenty of power. But after getting my harness from LMC Truck, knowing now what I know about the brittle tabs on the high bulb socket I think I would look elsewhere. Probably where shovebill suggested.

Last edited:

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would suspect the addition.

My experiences with aftermarket remote starters/alarms are not good. Ive had a number of them and all became headaches eventually. My '92 has a remote start. It stopped working awhile ago. I discovered the kit used about 6ft of harness that was wire-tied and zip-tied to a dash support... why so much? No idea.
My 1st instinct was to tear it all out, but upon examining the rats nest, I decided to leave it all alone, until I can find an uncut one to replace it with. Too many things going on in there and a soldering together a few cut wires in that tight space makes me cringe.

Michael, I was a tin knocker once upon a long time ago. Sadly, there are few shops in this area that can fabricate something Id like, and I doubt any would do it for under $400. Many sheetmetal/fabrication shops went **** up in 2007/08 and most of what is left specializes in HVAC ductwork or aircraft tech... getting the bends right and figuring out the jigs for a one-off job is a MF and not many have a quality mandrel bending machine on hand...time, skill and patience equates to $$$$.

I will check into that company tho, Thank You!.

Brother Al, I had a local car audio shop install a remote start / door lock and I like mine very much. They didn't hook up the alarm part of it though, they said the alarm part of it would not give the 'cute' beep beep of the horn, it would give me a one second honk and even suggested I didn't hook it up, I'm glad I didn't.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and PS....if i remember correctly, Sylvania lost a class action law suite involving bullshit advertising on those "silverstar" bulbs....google it if you want, i don't use them so i didn't pay attention really.

WOW, I never heard of that law suit until your post, I have been and guess I still am a sucker for their advertising. I just wish those Phillips 9012 had a 'cap' on the bulb, I like the amount of light I get on my 9011 HIR1 bulb.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gotta cool it on the spending until next Thursday. If I blow too much between paydays I get in trouble. But I'll snatch them up next Thursday and get them put in. Those are the ones I found, I was just puzzled by the picture. So for 9006's is there a consensus so far as to the most lumens at 14v for the money?
I bought these earlier today
You must be registered for see images

I saw there is a new silver star which are like these but allegedly brighter yet. But they have blue on the lens to change the color.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'd like to believe they became popular because they were readily available from AutoZone and the like, but i can't say that with conviction.....dfx seems to have no issues with them so it's all about choice.

Yeah, the Sylvania Silverstars are garbage for sure. Used them before in other vehicles, very disappointing. Those XtraVisions I linked are great though, use them in everything now. I used to use GE NightHawks but they're much harder to find.

@VenomousSVT Unfortunately any halogen bulb with that blue coating like the SilverStars is going to sacrifice brightness and longevity. Plus the more yellow light you get from the clear bulbs is actually easier for your eyes to adjust to and use. Not as pretty as the white light, but what looks best is seldom what works best when it comes to this stuff.