Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're on the right track there for sure. Think I've posted these a few times but I strongly recommend these Sylvania XtraVision bulbs. Dirt cheap and they work great, with no nasty blue coating on the lenses.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-XtraVision-Halogen-Headlight-Contains/dp/B0031HEIDY

ill pick some of these up for sure for the price. I got on that HID means more lumen bandwagon and they are bright. I just always hated the color of halogens. I'm a big 4800k-5000k fan myself. Just white.

thanks

No, those aren't...I got mine on Amazon and they SAY glass...$103+/-.....

And please take out that "HID" garbage. Nothing but a proper halogen bulb should be in there...there's a few real good BULBS out there that will give a very good LEGAL beam for your "seeing" needs. Put the Delco HIR in the high beams, it's a fantastic upgrade....we've gone over this in great detail......if you haven't already, we suggest you read this whole saga, there's a lot of good information within this thread.

also consider a harness upgrade, it'll basically DOUBLE the light output.

this thread is almost too much to take in... so much testing and better results here and there, you literally need to read every single post o make sure you dont miss anything. Ive got a handful of relays at the house. I'll fix me up a harness saturday while Im tooling around in the shop and get me a dedicated power source for them.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, those aren't...I got mine on Amazon and they SAY glass...$103+/-.....

And please take out that "HID" garbage. Nothing but a proper halogen bulb should be in there...there's a few real good BULBS out there that will give a very good LEGAL beam for your "seeing" needs. Put the Delco HIR in the high beams, it's a fantastic upgrade....we've gone over this in great detail......if you haven't already, we suggest you read this whole saga, there's a lot of good information within this thread.

also consider a harness upgrade, it'll basically DOUBLE the light output.
i really hate to buy a plug and play harness... but Id order 9006 plugs even though I already have relays anyways... but wouldnt this work for me just the same? Jut hook it right up to the battery and ground and plug in my inputs and outputs.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i really hate to buy a plug and play harness... but Id order 9006 plugs even though I already have relays anyways... but wouldnt this work for me just the same? Jut hook it right up to the battery and ground and plug in my inputs and outputs.

The way the harnesses we use work is this; it's a stand alone piece that uses the signal from the headlight switch to trigger the proper relay for either low or high beam....of course there's a few different ways to do this, I chose to go with the harness from gmachinz, plus I now have a mini circuit to shut off my DRL too....easy peasy and my bulbs see 14.4 volts as opposed to the 11.6 they had from the headlight switch.

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way the harnesses we use work is this; it's a stand alone piece that uses the signal from the headlight switch to trigger the proper relay for either low or high beam....of course there's a few different ways to do this, I chose to go with the harness from gmachinz, plus I now have a mini circuit to shut off my DRL too....easy peasy and my bulbs see 14.4 volts as opposed to the 11.6 they had from the headlight switch.
I'm 100% capable of building the correct harness. I was just wondering for ease of not having to buy my own connectors if you thought this would be the same. But the more I think about it it's not even worth answering. I'm just going to build the harness and call it a day. Recommendation, would you recommend a relay per light? I wouldn't typically do this but seeing how you guys have done so much research have y'all found that it's beneficial to have a replay per light or just a low beam circuit and a high beam circuit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score

T'was 11.4V low beam, 11.2V high beam, but still close.

Over double the amount of light from the stock bulbs with a harness.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I'm 100% capable of building the correct harness. I was just wondering for ease of not having to buy my own connectors if you thought this would be the same. But the more I think about it it's not even worth answering. I'm just going to build the harness and call it a day. Recommendation, would you recommend a relay per light? I wouldn't typically do this but seeing how you guys have done so much research have y'all found that it's beneficial to have a replay per light or just a low beam circuit and a high beam circuit?

a relay per circuit....1 for low and 1 for high beams, 30A should be fine, mine are 40 i believe.....10G from the battery to relays, then 14G to lamp connectors, shortest run possible for the least resistance. 18G would be fine to trip the relays, only takes like a volt or so to close them. that's why we use the stock harness for that....then cap off the second set(driver's side) of bulb connectors.

i'm going to use my high beam "hot" to trigger a relay for my driving lights, that are yet to be finalized........my low beam will be a switched trigger for my cornering lamps, which i think will be Hella H1 low beams or the Cibie H4's on low beam only.....they'll be in my KC buckets.

every other lamp set will get their own relayed harness.....i'll even have my reverse light circuit trip a switched relay for one rear facing set. they be 2 sets out back for different beam patterns.

Last edited:

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a relay per circuit....1 for low and 1 for high beams, 30A should be fine, mine are 40 i believe.....10G from the battery to relays, then 14G to lamp connectors, shortest run possible for the least resistance. 18G would be fine to trip the relays, only takes like a volt or so to close them. that's why we use the stock harness for that....then cap off the second set(driver's side) of bulb connectors.

i'm going to use my high beam "hot" to trigger a relay for my driving lights, that are yet to be finalized........my low beam will be a switched trigger for my cornering lamps, which i think will be Hella H1 low beams or the Cibie H4's on low beam only.....they'll be in my KC buckets.

every other lamp set will get their own relayed harness.....i'll even have my reverse light circuit trip a switched relay for one rear facing set. they be 2 sets out back for different beam patterns.
Perfect! I'll grab up some wire this week and be ready to go! After all the research I'm whole heartedly leaning on yalls expertise for sure. (Why reinvent the wheel if it's already been figured out. ). I picked up the sylvanias suggested above locally tonight and got them installed. It's gonna be odd for sure getting used to that brown light again! Ugh! But for $8 for a set I can't go wrong! Even running off the stock lighting it's so much better of a pattern. They don't "look" as bright to me, but I feel like they throw better than the brighter hid's. I'm very much looking forward to cranking up the current for these guys so they can hit their full potential. With having brand new lights installed yesterday and new bulbs I've still got some tweaking until I'm perfectly happy with beam placement but so far they seem to have more throw already.

I looked up the H1R?? Something or other bulbs you suggested for high beams. They looked kinda like a globe bulb. Is this the correct bulb you were suggesting ??

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
buy this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9QPKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the picture is wrong, it's from Germany not china like the description says.......Mike turned us onto it....Dylan has the Vosla boxed version and i have the Delco's.......mine aren't installed yet, still have the +100 Philips highs in mine and the +60% for lows.........the HIR is almost 700 lumens more than 9005 bulb. quite a few of us have them now.

check Dylan's thread, he used the Vosla HIR's and the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited 9006's
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/headlight-upgrade.36913/page-9

so

VenomousSVT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
buy this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9QPKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the picture is wrong, it's from Germany not china like the description says.......Mike turned us onto it....Dylan has the Vosla boxed version and i have the Delco's.......mine aren't installed yet, still have the +100 Philips highs in mine and the +60% for lows.........the HIR is almost 700 lumens more than 9005 bulb. quite a few of us have them now.

check Dylan's thread, he used the Vosla HIR's and the Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited 9006's
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/headlight-upgrade.36913/page-9

so
Gotta cool it on the spending until next Thursday. If I blow too much between paydays I get in trouble. But I'll snatch them up next Thursday and get them put in. Those are the ones I found, I was just puzzled by the picture. So for 9006's is there a consensus so far as to the most lumens at 14v for the money?
I bought these earlier today
You must be registered for see images

I saw there is a new silver star which are like these but allegedly brighter yet. But they have blue on the lens to change the color.
You must be registered for see images