Southern 98 k1500 brought back to Canada (BUILD THREAD,PIC HEAVY)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear end maybe? My 98 got a whine just like you described and I ended up having to replace ring gear and pinion.

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear end maybe? My 98 got a whine just like you described and I ended up having to replace ring gear and pinion.

I thought it was a pinion bearing at first, but the noise is constant in gear not moving. Once I put the truck in drive or reverse I can hear the noise

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took the truck a trans shop and let them have a listen. They basically said unless its screaming at you or fluid is pissing out don't worry about it right now.

So that means focusing on more fun stuff, woohoo.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Got any more plans with the truck? Wat you plannin on addin next brotha? ... LOL! :D :D

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got any more plans with the truck? Wat you plannin on addin next brotha? ... LOL! :D :D

I have a lot of plans for it but time and money is the factor of everything lol. The oil cooler lines and front cover are both leaking profusely so I need to tackle those asap. I should be able to do the lines and fittings this weekend but I need a couple pullers to do the front cover. I'm trying to decide if its worth changing the chain and gears since I'm going in there and exposing them. I also need to pick up a water pump, because lets face it putting the old pump on would be silly in my honest opinion.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Are you planning on leaving the chrome trim around the fenders on? Would look better IMHO with them off since you don't have the molding any more, fender flares with the matched autumnwood metallic would look even better. :D Just my opinion though on it. :banana-mario:

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you planning on leaving the chrome trim around the fenders on? Would look better IMHO with them off since you don't have the molding any more, fender flares with the matched autumnwood metallic would look even better. :D Just my opinion though on it. :banana-mario:

My old 97 was like that you can see it in my profile photo. I really liked how it looked with the colour matched factory fender flares. I may do that again when I have more offset wheels on it. Ill probably just leave the chrome trim on for now because more than likely there will be a definite line in the paint from them rubbing. I do also still want to find some good mouldings to put back on as well. So it will match up again eventually.

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I had the Trans pump and torque converter replaced and the noise is gone! However they did tell me they went through the transmission just because it's out and accessible. Makes sense to me but now I'm getting a 2-3 shift flare of around 300rpm before it shifts into 3rd gear. :mad: So I called them and he said to drive it a few more days if it doesn't change to bring it back. Really nice guys to deal with its just time consuming. Took care of leak number one the oil cooler lines. Still need to do the front cover when I have a chance.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it's been about 3 years since I started this thread.....decided to try and re-spark it. These are a couple photos from the day I picked it up to how it currently sits. Nothing crazy was done just cleaned the crap out of it, switched a few parts, added a few parts. Put all new OEM headlights and marker lights in, new z71 decals, currently collecting new OEM trim (most money i've ever spent on plastic) The truck is still in storage for its 3rd winter and I'll have it back out around April. This spring is going to be a full sound system rebuild. New door and pillar speakers that will be amplified and a single 10 inch under the rear seat with a mono amp. Basically going to gut the interior steam clean the carpet and start fresh. Ill post more 360 photos once its out. Don't sleep on me yet!