So.... I blew my muffler up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
When I got home after and let it cool off for an hour or so it ran like a dream. Issue gone......

Well that's even stranger. Probably not timing in that case, although I would still start there just because it's an easy check.

What kind of miles are on it? Any recent changes or anything? What prompted the cat removal?

Dan12valve

Reaction score
Lots of recent changes.... my paranoia says cascade failures. 217k miles on the clock. Recently (past 3000 miles) it was losing power on hills and had hesitation with partial throttle which was atributed to the egr. So blocked vacuum line to it. Ran fine for a while then started losing power with rpm. So new fuel pump coil and tbi rebuild to no avail. Found to be stopped up cat. Ran great until it blew the muffler off. The duracrap coil decided to crap out and original tested good so I threw it back on.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I see, so it could really be any number of things then. I'm curious what caused your cat to get clogged up in the first place.

Have you pulled codes?

Dan12valve

Reaction score
Only code that shows is from the egr failing its self test. Never anything stored. I wonder why the cat decided to go in such a short time span as well. Gets plenty of fuel, it has always had a slightly rough idle. Enough to feel but not enough to notice outside or hear. I always attributed it to something spark related but could never figure it out and it didnt merit throwing money at.

Makes me wanna fix the dismal grinder..... Simple, fuel+air+compression=bald rear tires. Or at least something less electronic.... like magnetos on aircraft.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
I've seen that once before on a Nissan truck. The shop was trying to start it and all it was doing was filling the muffler with fuel vapors. Once it caught the muffler exploded. Like a shot gun going off.

wally

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my 2ct. But my truck 95 had a rough like yours went through 2 cats replaced ignition parts and o 2 sensor and a rich smell at idle from exhaust tried everything . Got to the point of rebuilding the throttle body and the o rings that the injectors sit in at the bottom had a flat spot in it and was allowing unmetered fuel into the motor but not enough to set any trouble codes upon first inspection I noticed at idle fuel was dripping as well as spraying which is why I rebuilt it . Problem solved for me . Hope it helps

Dan12valve

Reaction score
Has always smelled a tiny bit rich for the 40,000 miles or so I've had it. I did check the timing and number one wire was intermittently not firing. And then is just stranded me essentially. Let it cool for a bit and went a few more miles and it started acting up again. So I went for the last thing not replaced. The ignition control module. So far it seems fixed. Time will tell.