1988 k1500 5.7 starts, but will only run if I pump the gas.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7heGreatSloth

Reaction score
Alright, got this 1988 K1500 5.7 from my father. It was sitting in a field in Idaho for a couple years. I put a new battery in it, and got it started. It would only stay running if I pumped the gas. I dropped it into drive and kept pumping, about 30 seconds later it throttled up and ran and drove perfect, idled perfect and I drove it 700 miles to colorado. I turned it off multiple times to get fuel, started and idled perfect and ran perfect every time.

I was almost home, a few exit ramps from mine it started bogging down. I pulled onto the next exit and it died. I did a roadside tune up (cap and rotor and plugs). I towed it home and have since been throwing parts at it. I've done both coolant temp sensors, both the oil pressure switch and sensor, a couple questionable vaccum lines, fuel filter, map sensor and replaced a frayed coolant temp sensor wire. Still doing the same thing, starts and only stays running while pumping the gas just like when it first started in Idaho.

I does show low oil pressure (hence the thought to replace the oil pressure sender and sensor), and it does backfire occasionally while pumping the gas. Figured I would post on here and see if anyone has any ideas on where to move on getting this thing running.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuel pressure? May want to see what kind of fuel pressure you are getting, pump may not be happy anymore, it is 35 yrs old. And just like that, i am freaking old considering i graduated hs when our trucks rolled off the line..

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since sat so long, how much grunge could be in the fuel tank? And your driving , pumping fuel has stirred it all up. Filled fuel filters, tank sock. Old tired fuel pump. Leaking degraded lines in fuel tank. Yep fuel pressure check . Did you download the free OE service manuals here in forum?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1988 K1500 5.7...
...have since been throwing parts at it.
Stop throwing parts, do real diagnosis.

Fuel pressure test, and connect a scan tool to verify EVERY sensor and computer output--spark advance, IAC position, EGR operation, etc.

Verify that the magnet on the distributor mainshaft is still intact. Cracked magnets are really common.

Cranking compression test would be a good idea.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A fuel pressure test is #1. If it's your fuel pump, don't even bother with a new TBI pump. Step right up and get the Vortec fuel pump. It's a perfect fit and far more capable.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
To me it sounds like a sticking IAC solenoid or plugged Idle passage.