So.... I blew my muffler up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan12valve

Reaction score
Simply that, Went to accelerate out of a corner at 1/3 throttle and heard a shotgun go off. Pulled off and the carcass of the muffler dangled helplessly. So clearly a backfire. The rest of the drive home was filled with lots of backfires if i tried to do more than 1/4 throttle without manually shifting down first. Shift down and could take it wot to the redline.

Fast forward 20 miles closer to home and I started to maintain speed on a hill and it backfired and ran like sh*t till I came to a stop in a gas station parking lot. Tinkered with hooking up the egr again. Bad idea, then swapped out the map and i got home on that.

Ive put close to 400 miles on it since the cat disappeared and it ran fine up till then. Got home and pulled the plugs and everything looked normal. Not rich or fouled. After it cooled for over an hour took another drive with no issues at all.

So Im thinking it may be something ignition related. Checked for water in fuel and clogged filter. Perhaps the ignition control module or the coil(coil testing good) is going out?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Edit... forgive my idiocy... 94 5.7l 2wd auto currently straight piped.....lol

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
So... you were driving along, running fine, and boom, you blew your muffler apart like that?

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
I think it was the illuminati

Sent while pulling out a Ford

If they can fake Sandy Hook and Orlando, they can blow apart your muffler lol. :rofl:

I've heard of muffler's exploding, but I've never seen it. I really have no insight, but that's pretty amazing.

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
If they can fake Sandy Hook and Orlando, they can blow apart your muffler lol. :rofl:

I've heard of muffler's exploding, but I've never seen it. I really have no insight, but that's pretty amazing.
It was a bullet. Bounced it off the asphalt and hit the muffle square on the seem causing it to shred open like that. Lol sorry OP, I'm in a mood

Sent while pulling out a Ford

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Have you checked your timing? It sounds like a timing issue, since you're unable to give it throttle under load.

Dan12valve

Reaction score
Ill check timing tomorrow. For some odd reason my timing light is in my diesel:shrug: about 20 minutes away, but I digress. And yes... driving down the Ocoee river comming out of curve and applied partial throttle and BOOM. I seriously thought I blew the engine at 1/3 throttle for about 30 seconds, until i slowed down to pull off and heard scraping.

Runs great if you keep the revs up... flat foot it while cruising at 1800rpm and BOOM BOOM.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Ill check timing tomorrow. For some odd reason my timing light is in my diesel:shrug: about 20 minutes away, but I digress. And yes... driving down the Ocoee river comming out of curve and applied partial throttle and BOOM. I seriously thought I blew the engine at 1/3 throttle for about 30 seconds, until i slowed down to pull off and heard scraping.

Runs great if you keep the revs up... flat foot it while cruising at 1800rpm and BOOM BOOM.

Lol, it does alot of good there huh?

It seems like you've gone drastically out of time, but that's just my best W.A.G.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Easy to blow up a muffler, at least in the old carbureted cars and trucks. Get up to speed, then shut off the ignition and coast in gear for a while with he gas pedal down. Turn the key back on and BOOM!!!

The muffler is full of unburnt gas, and when you turn the key back on, the hot exhaust ignites the whole thing. We did it for kicks when we were kids.

Dad could never prove a thing!

Hopefully, this post will help you figure it out. My guess is that for some reason, unburnt fuel made it inbto the muffler, either because of ignition failure, or perhaps some problem with the injection.

Dan12valve

Reaction score
When I got home after and let it cool off for an hour or so it ran like a dream. Issue gone......

Truck has multiple personalities, cant decide whether to be happy or piss in my cheerios.