Should I Seafoam my 98 Chevy with 260k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BadBowtie 98

BOWTIE TILL I DIE
Reaction score
Honestly IMO if you getting that gas milage i wouldn't try it, sea foam is very corrosive and on a high milage engine it can eat gaskets away quick. You can put it in your oil, but not for to long. What i do is quarter in tank quarter in brake booster then the rest in my oil, let it idle for 15 min go on a nice drive, then come back and change the oil. You'll be amazed at what sea foam knocks lose

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
yea sea foam is nasty stuff make sure to run yur tank out or at least almost empty, change your oil, and all that after it has worked its way in. i did it in my 85 z28 after it sat for 4 years didnt do anything really, no smoke nada i did it to my 88 k1500 and i couldve fogged the whole neiighborhood and then my head gaskets went dunno if that was a cause.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Well I have never had an issue with SeaFoam and gaskets or leaks or anything of that kind. However I do like to use Marvel mystery oil in the oil for the full 3000. only like 3 ounces just to keep it nice and clean. Its way cheaper than seafoam.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
marvel oil ive used, usually instead of seafoam if i want to clean some valves i got to the neighbors house and borrow a shot or two of true blue high octane race fuel and mix that in, cant get crazy with the pedal but itll clean any gunk out of your engine.

satxwy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now you have me anxious to try it again. How much did you use through the brake booster line?

DAC_CFH

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seafoam isnt really a should or should not thing to do.

In my experience- A vehicle that has any sort of issue between a certain speed is not engine related but probably drive line. Do you have an extended cab truck? A hanger bearing with a little bit of play in the rubber can cause you all sorts of grief. Could be missing a weight off the drive shaft- Out of phase drive shaft from previous work that would be missed during an inspection..

Its just IMO the engine is the last place I would look- and if its running good.. Its usually best to save your money for your regular preventative maintenance.

Knockoutpie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seafoam isnt really a should or should not thing to do.

In my experience- A vehicle that has any sort of issue between a certain speed is not engine related but probably drive line. Do you have an extended cab truck? A hanger bearing with a little bit of play in the rubber can cause you all sorts of grief. Could be missing a weight off the drive shaft- Out of phase drive shaft from previous work that would be missed during an inspection..

Its just IMO the engine is the last place I would look- and if its running good.. Its usually best to save your money for your regular preventative maintenance.

Lol, I was aware seafoam wouldn't fix the issue with my driving, was curious if it would do anything, and to the person above this quoted quote, I put 1 pint into the gas tank and drove around for an hour, after 5 minutes of pouring it in I could already feel the difference lol.

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never done it, but hear that it helps clean the internals very well. So you may not feel a difference, but it will help. You're supposed to put 1/3 in the oil, 1/3 in the gas tank and the other 1/3 using the vacuum line. But you're supposed to change the oil after running seafoam in it. So that's why some people think it's bad to put it in the oil. You're supposed to put it in the oil, just have to change it after running it a little while.