SAS Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
If I have an 83 Suburban 8 lug would it be possible to just use most of the parts off of that truck if I were going to SAS my 97? I keep hearing that a Ford axle is easier but I already have the truck and it is rarely driven. I have a shop that I could use to do the work. What all would I need to do a swap like that?
The truck in question
You must be registered for see images attach

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
You would need to swapi in the t case as well and may need to get a different trans adapter. In your case I would just say leave your truck as is since its damn near perfect and just wrench on the burb for awhile :cheers:

Sent from a 6.5 Detroit Diesel powered smartphone

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
You would need to swapi in the t case as well and may need to get a different trans adapter. In your case I would just say leave your truck as is since its damn near perfect and just wrench on the burb for awhile :cheers:

That is my second option because the Suburban runs damn near perfect for hoe little work gets put into it. I might just lift that since its so cheap and turn it into a toy?

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
That is my second option because the Suburban runs damn near perfect for hoe little work gets put into it. I might just lift that since its so cheap and turn it into a toy?

I vote for this option! And reason I said damn near perfect is because your truck isnt in my driveway lol

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I vote for this option! And reason I said damn near perfect is because your truck isnt in my driveway lol

Yeah it is a toss up because I would really like to SAS my truck! But on the second hand I could turn the Burb into my play toy make it a nice off road rig with a lift and tires and keep my truck nice! Sorry Chris I dont think that it will be in your drive way anytime soon! :rofl:

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Yeah it is a toss up because I would really like to SAS my truck! But on the second hand I could turn the Burb into my play toy make it a nice off road rig with a lift and tires and keep my truck nice! Sorry Chris I dont think that it will be in your drive way anytime soon! :rofl:

:lol: eh...i may wind up building up my 3500 into a toy rolling on 7" lift and 35s...it means it will never fit in the new garage but eh that was debatable due to its length anyway.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you can use tons, spring hangers, front ones and then rear axle rears to mount the axle in your truck, rear axle springs to add lift, or even the stock fronts, the t-case and driveshaft or shafts?

t-case linkage etc.

same swap I'm working on gathering parts to do on my 88.

you have to make the vss work though and abs I'd be wondering on what to do also.

SIKAZPHUC

Reaction score
Unless you like to wrench...take it from someone who has been there done that a few times. Just leave it and work on the truck that is already got the SAS....not knocking the SAS trucks (I own 2 now), they have their place, and have their PITA moments too. Unless you will be running huge tires, wide rims, or absolutely HATE the old square bodies....stick with what you got.

That is unless you are like some of us and just want to cut up....lol. When done 100% rite and not cutting any corners...it can get damn pricey!

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Unless you like to wrench...take it from someone who has been there done that a few times. Just leave it and work on the truck that is already got the SAS....not knocking the SAS trucks (I own 2 now), they have their place, and have their PITA moments too. Unless you will be running huge tires, wide rims, or absolutely HATE the old square bodies....stick with what you got.

That is unless you are like some of us and just want to cut up....lol. When done 100% rite and not cutting any corners...it can get damn pricey!

Yeah thats what I figured. This summer I will be lifting the Burb and putting some 35s on it. I am going to just turn it into my toy and keep my 97 nice for once without wheeling it till it breaks again!