Sas questions I couldn't find

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know the front needs to be lengthened, but that's not on the top of my list at the moment. I'm not putting on the front DS till it gets lengthened. I'm more worried about the rear. Don't want my drive shaft to fall out going down the higway

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In regards to the rear, that's pretty simple. You didn't say what body truck you have. Just get one out of a longer truck. It's a slip yoke. You have a lot of room to play with there. The ones from an 8 foot bed may work or the extended cab if you have a reg cab. Get it lifted, measure, then go find one that fits. You have room for imperfection with the long slip yoke so finding something "close enough" should be easy.

If you can't then do what I do, cut the ends off your current DS, then find a DS longer than you need, cut it to length and weld your ends on. Once you figure out what trucks have exactly what you need its easy then to find and make spares. Then you can have it balanced if you want. Cut them at the welded flange. Just barely cut into it. Only cut on the weld, the give it a few whacks and the yokes will pop out of the DS tube. Your just cutting the welds off.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've talked to a few people about how long it took them to do the swap. Some say a week or 2 of full days of work and some said a weekend was it for them. My problem is this is my daily driver. I can only be out of work for 3 days. If I have everything prepared, can it be done in 3 with 2 people?

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I've talked to a few people about how long it took them to do the swap. Some say a week or 2 of full days of work and some said a weekend was it for them. My problem is this is my daily driver. I can only be out of work for 3 days. If I have everything prepared, can it be done in 3 with 2 people?
Yes imo

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes mine was swapped in a day

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I buy just an empty dana 44 housing, get it completely rebuilt (brakes, etc) do I have to put axle shafts and gears in it since it won't have a front driveshaft, can it wait till I get the new front driveshaft, or are the gears and axle shafts needed for daily.driving

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I buy just an empty dana 44 housing, get it completely rebuilt (brakes, etc) do I have to put axle shafts and gears in it since it won't have a front driveshaft, can it wait till I get the new front driveshaft, or are the gears and axle shafts needed for daily.driving

How would the wheels stay attached?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What all so I need for a rebuild with disk brakes other than Flatt op knuckles, rotors, pads, and calipers