Rusted 14SF axle tubes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I figured that was probably the case. Good luck on your search, maybe see if there are any other yards within a couple hundred miles that have online part inventory?

There's quite a few around, and I can have one shipped in too, but they're all around $500 range. I'm already out $400 on the two hunks of **** I have now. Oh well, I originally budgeted 1500 for this project, you know the rule - double your original budget will be the final tally.

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
take the tubes out of one and put them on the other.

or bring them back and have the yard search for another for you. let them do the legwork.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just guessing here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there's probably a lot of road salt used in ND. Lots of wrecking yards use an internet hookup to source parts that they do not have. See if they can get you a replacement from Seattle or California.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Could that be properly welded up??

You could weld it, then have it remachined, but it's not worth it with 14b costing 2-300 bucks.

Also, the current AAM guide to casting porosity allows for single defect's, "up to the size of a U.S. Quarter", in that area.

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear that welding the tubes can warp them slightly, so the axle becomes a bearing destroyer.

Anyway, I traded the axle full of shrapnel for the last one at the yard, which turned out to be decent. Yard owner just traded me straight across, no cost. The spider gears are trashed, but I don't care since a Truetrac is going in anyway. Corrosion from the ubolt plates isn't bad on the new one, only about .060 deep on a tube that's .260 thick. Good enough.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it all sorted. I imagine the second one would have been fine with a new race. I would have miced the bore with the race removed to be certain, but the damage looked like spalling from debris being caught between the bearings and the race.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk