Need advice on rear end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure mine isn't the 8.5".

I guess I gotta do some research on making it an locker. I don't know much about how to convert them. If you guys have an threads to point me to or advice, I'd appreciate it. I'll look either way. I definitely don't want things blowing up on me.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
96 k1500 today and noticed there's some axial play in the axles... ...It's a 14 bolt
Pretty sure mine isn't the 8.5".
Yup, not an 8.5.

Perfect candidate for rebuilding what's in there, as the 14-bolt axles are decently robust, or strong as heck, depending on whether it's a 9.5" or a 10.5".

Or--as said--stuff an aftermarket limited-slip or locker in place and enjoy.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fairly certain it's a 9.5, but dang it if I remember how I verified that haha. I gotta get a parts list together.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it has a 14-bolt cover AND has axle shafts that can be moved in-and-out, it's a 9.5" axle assembly.

A 14-bolt cover and axle shafts externally bolted to the hubs--a full-floating axle--would be a 10.5" axle assembly, and unlikely to be under a 1500-series truck. It'd also have 8-lug wheels.