replace clutch fan with Electric fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a 95-up vehicle it's easy to get the PCM tuned to run the fans instead of hacking something together that will fail at an inopportune time.

Taurus SHO fans are a common swap, LT1 fans are hard to find, and LS1 fans seem to be the best of the group. Don't expect a HUGE increase in mileage though. MAYBE 1mpg combined if you throw on under drive pulleys. There are writeups all over the internet about how to do it.

FYI unless you have a turbo LS2 under the hood, your stock radiator will work fine. Even then it may work fine. No need for a 3 or 4 row piece. My 5.7 will hover around 195-210 for hours on end in 105 degree heat at high elevation.

I'm not sure about the 95, but the 96 and 97 truck PCMs don't support efans, for OBDII it has to be a 98+ pcm, or preferrably a 411.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
im surprised that that one fan can cool your 350.

Cools it perfectly fine, Even had it idling in my driveway for about 20-30 Minutes yesterday, never got hotter then 180.

Should mention that the fan is the biggest single Syclone fan Flex-A-Lite sells (2500CFM i believe)

And i have been watching closely, i originally bought the fan for my 4.3L, if it ever starts to over heat, i will go duals.

///M5

Reaction score
I did the Jeep GC fan install last week, and it cost me only about $120 total. It would have been $20 less, but I opted for adjustable temp relay to control the fan. If anyone is interested, I have pics of the install in my 98' C1500 including all the parts I needed to get it done right.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Chris, im wantin to swap in some efans soon. Whats the deal with getting them to run off my 95 pcm? I can send my harness back to Summit if its not too difficult...

I'd honestly just go the route you were going Nick. It's much easier. I don't know of anyone local that has enough brains about those things to get it working correctly.

I'm not sure about the 95, but the 96 and 97 truck PCMs don't support efans, for OBDII it has to be a 98+ pcm, or preferrably a 411.

It's a software hack that allows the 95 PCM to control the fans. It's a little over my head as far as getting it to work since I've only done the conversion and simple tuning on mine. The ~7427 ECM has extra pinouts than can be used as fan triggers, but the code I've seen disabled the EGR and used those instead.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
It doesn't take much to cool one at idle. Most people vasty overestimate the amount of cooling capacity needed per liter of displacement.

low98

Reaction score
i have only got one wired right now and its running below what it was running with the clutch fan before summer though i will wire the second one up just in case.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow how's that fan from ebay work? you got 2 right? do they cool good? did you use a relay kit or thermostat kit for it?

where do you get those bracket to mount the rad when the fan shroud is gone? looks like 81-87 chevy truck style brackets?

I'm kinda interested yet worried about e fans, one is getting a big enough one to keep it cool, although mine runs very cool as is with clutch fan.
I like the cleaner looks of it and saves space, if it helps gas mileage that's pretty cool too. I always wondered if I'd need a single or dual fan though,or if I'd have to buy the biggest cfm I could. I got a stock 350 tbi fresh rebuild and th350 in a k1500. What are your guys opinions on what to use? The cheaper the setup the better for me.