Electric fan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m just legitimately trying to understand why the switch to electric. Were you guys having any overheating issues? Or just for performance?
Little bit of both actually. The truck overheats with the AC on when moving at less than cruising speed on hot days. I’m also planning on rebuilding the engine with aluminum heads, roller cam and Holley efi.

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far my experience has been positive with the electric fans i installed. Duel Flex-A-Lite fan kit 280 Pulls 5,500cfm. Listed to pull 28A. I did do more than the big 3 upgrade to the wiring also, Used 02 welding cable and more grounds, I have not hooked the fans to come on with the AC yet. Have not needed to yet. Stock 140A alternator is keeping up fine.
It is keeping my truck cool so far but around here we have low humidity and will only see 100 degree days a couple times a year.
With front and rear AC, 85 degree day and stop and go traffic once the interior is cooled down i run the AC on low or med. Seems to just work fine. I'll see on a really hot day though how it does. If it fails i did keep all the OEM stuff to swap back.
Posted these before.
You must be registered for see images attach
That looks great. I like the aluminum top piece you made. I’m planning on doing the same.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little bit of both actually. The truck overheats with the AC on when moving at less than cruising speed on hot days. I’m also planning on rebuilding the engine with aluminum heads, roller cam and Holley efi.

It shouldn't be over heating under those circumstances. I see in your avatar you have a 95 or newer. The cooling system is plently to keep the engine cool. There is something else besides that is not working properly.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m amazed the issues some have. I also have ac and while I don’t live in the Deep South, we do have times with heat in high 90° or higher, but my truck’s temperature never seems to change with all original system aside from adding a duel core radiator. Was the same as I recall with the single core too.

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you want more control then relay's

check out https://www.autocoolguy.com/ website,i am using a hf-125 7kz controller (brushless fan controller) with the black box (fan filter) on two spal 16" high performance straight blade 40a fans.
can also do other specific setups like stock gmt800 fan's on them

this is ground terminal controlled not postive termnial controlled. they are not like the derale fan controller's (inrush current burns them up)

also they are acrylic coated,are waterproof and can be mounted anywhere'

THE HF COTROLLERS HAVE SOFT START, AC FAN SPEED CONTROL, AND A COOL DOWN TIMER. RADIATOR OUTFLOW TEMP IS CONTRLLED WITH FAN RPM​

fans run start at certain temp (controller) at a set % and ramp up to cool down as needed

fan's will override a/c fan speed setting if needed but you can adjust 0-100%
they also have a fail safe switch (a switch to ground) that let's you run the fan's 100%

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

open_road_toad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It shouldn't be over heating under those circumstances. I see in your avatar you have a 95 or newer. The cooling system is plently to keep the engine cool. There is something else besides that is not working properly.
It’s a 1988. First year of this body style. I think the radiator is a little clogged up. I’ve owned this truck for 6 or so years now. The AC system is new as is the heater core and hoses. I never had a issue before this year with it getting hot. I’m slowly replacing the old parts and the radiator is old. I’ve flushed it quite a few times and always use distilled water when I mix the antifreeze.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I’m amazed the issues some have. I also have ac and while I don’t live in the Deep South, we do have times with heat in high 90° or higher, but my truck’s temperature never seems to change with all original system aside from adding a duel core radiator. Was the same as I recall with the single core too.

As I have said before the air above the pavement gets over 120F in rush hour traffic here. Combination of the sun heating the pavement and heat from all the vehicles running.