Recovery strap talk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
No need fot calling gim an idiot. If you read properly. .. not Just the first line. . He clearly said that the shackle stays tght to the ball with the pin in.. not any worse then a tongue on a trailer

That guy is just an azzhole he needs the ban hammer he calls somone an idiot in every thread he posts in

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We do hook the clevis on the ball, but it is correctly sized where you have to take the pin out to put it over the ball, and once the pin is re-installed, it cannot come off.

What the other guy meant ( so eloquently ) is the ball itself can break off the threaded shaft and become a middle along with the shackle. I just took a hitch and removed the ball and use a shackle through the hole where the hitch ball would usually go.
But yeah I never hook to the hitch ball.
I also never use the straps that have the sewn in metal hooks. I pulled out a Bronco once and the hook broke and put a huge dent in my tailgate

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
What the other guy meant ( so eloquently ) is the ball itself can break off the threaded shaft and become a middle along with the shackle. I just took a hitch and removed the ball and use a shackle through the hole where the hitch ball would usually go.
But yeah I never hook to the hitch ball.
I also never use the straps that have the sewn in metal hooks. I pulled out a Bronco once and the hook broke and put a huge dent in my tailgate

I just pull the whole hitch and stick the pin that holds it in through the loop in the strap

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
We have since invested in flat recievers that do not stick down in the mud. I always thought running them upside down was ugly. Now all of us have these, and just put the shackle thru the hole in it. Much less work than digging up a ball 4" under the ground.
You must be registered for see images

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
As far as the strap goes, ours will not fit inside a receiver. The fire hose is the best strap we have ever had to date.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
As far as the strap goes, ours will not fit inside a receiver. The fire hose is the best strap we have ever had to date.

4 wheel and offroad magazine recommended that method so I trust that haha