Rear shocks twisting frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all! I have a question about my stock suspension in my '95 c1500. I have replaced the entire suspension except for the rear springs, which I cleaned up and reinstalled. Other than the leafs, absolutely everything is new. I have the cab and box off the truck to replace everything underneath. On to my question:

Is it normal for the rear driver's side of the frame to sit higher than the passenger side? Ever since I replaced the shocks the frame is sitting almost 2.5" out of level at the rear bumper. The floor is pretty close to level, and the inequality worsens the closer I measure to the back of the truck. I have attached a picture for reference.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Attachments

• IMG_20220328_184523732.jpg
    IMG_20220328_184523732.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 87

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could also have a bent frame. I think my 1500 may have been whacked before I got it as one side sits higher than the other.
That is a concern. The funny thing is I've had the truck for a few years and never noticed until now. So I'm leaning towards it being a result of something I've done recently, rather than a preexisting issue.
Thanks!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you've got air-shocks, there shouldn't be much if any force on the frame from the shocks, with the vehicle at rest. Force on the frame from the springs would be a different story.

What happens if you swap springs side-to-side? What happens if you disconnect the shocks at one end?

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder once the cab and beds on if you will see a change? Are the eyebolts already torqued down on the spring eyes? That's not a lot of weight on there right now. I would probably loosen the eyebolts a bit and see if it settles down even. Once bed and cabs back on torque them back down.