Rear drum identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya know.. I read one of your threads about those awful brakes we half ton peeps have, something about how they only adjust if you use the parking brake regularly as that's what actuates the lever which adjusts the star wheel. As an experiment, I had the parking brake cable replaced on my wife's truck, readjusted the shoes and then had her use the parking brake every time she parked. Good practice anyway as it's a stick. You were right; And now I must say that I like this style much better than before, her pedal has a great feel to it and the thing stops with minimal effort now. Before I read that thread, I'd have to pop the drums off once a year, perhaps have them turned to take the lip off and then adjust the star wheels manually, as that's about when I could no longer take the brake pedal sag. I'd have replaced my parking brake cable already but I'm holding out for a six lug 14 bolt SF'r..

We swapped a 3.42 G80 10 bolt in place of her old 3.08 open. Totally slipped my mind that 2WD 'Burbs got the 11"x2"(?) brakes. Wish I would have remembered so we snagged one of those instead but I'm pretty satisfied with the performance of the brakes on her truck.

Consider going with 3.73 I had never made a trip to see my folks with one tank well when I changed out the gears I made it and had gas to spare I know it could have been other things as well.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Consider going with 3.73 I had never made a trip to see my folks with one tank well when I changed out the gears I made it and had gas to spare I know it could have been other things as well.

Hindsight is 20/20 but now I wish I would've kept the 3.08 in that truck. It spins something like 2300 or 2400 rpm at 70mph. My truck has 3.73's. It also has much larger tires yet it's still faster than hers and is better on gas despite being a 4x4 and all that. I have not checked compression between the two trucks as neither burn oil. Hers doesn't feel as powerful either. Maybe hers is tired but has anyone ever known a tired engine which doesn't burn oil?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

You changed to 3.73 from either 3.42 or 3.08 and got better fuel economy - is that correct?

(I started out thinking the 4.11 in my C2500 Suburban wasn't helping me fuel wise but with things I've been reading on this forum, maybe not so bad after all.
It's hilly here - as in always climbing or falling. Lower (higher numerically) final drive would see it shifting out of 4thOD and unlocking the TC more often. And more TC churning at take-off. None of that helps fuel mileage. Is that how it pans out with you guys?)

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from 3.42s to 4.11s and didn't notice much difference in MPGs but I live on flat land, ha ha. The speed limit on I-10 out here is 75MPH but if you go that slow you'll get run over! At 82MPH I'm cruising at ~2870 RPM (2100 @ 60MPH)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I went from 3.42s to 4.11s and didn't notice much difference in MPGs but I live on flat land, ha ha. The speed limit on I-10 out here is 75MPH but if you go that slow you'll get run over! At 82MPH I'm cruising at ~2870 RPM (2100 @ 60MPH)

I went from 265 to 285 tires, no change in mpg. 3.73 to 4.10 no change. 4L60 to 4L80 no change. It's not very flat where I live, but the real climbs are west of me.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the 1500s I think that 3:73s are ok for general use.
For the 2500s the 4:10 gears seem to be a better fit, it sure makes getting all that extra weight moving easier in city driving.
I used to have a 10,000GVW square body, it had 5:13s and you were shifting before you could get thru a big intersection,, but in granny gear it would pull anything you could hook up to it, but it didn't like to cruise more than ~55>60, at 65 you wondered if a rod was going to let go.:)

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You changed to 3.73 from either 3.42 or 3.08 and got better fuel economy - is that correct?

(I started out thinking the 4.11 in my C2500 Suburban wasn't helping me fuel wise but with things I've been reading on this forum, maybe not so bad after all.
It's hilly here - as in always climbing or falling. Lower (higher numerically) final drive would see it shifting out of 4thOD and unlocking the TC more often. And more TC churning at take-off. None of that helps fuel mileage. Is that how it pans out with you guys?)

Yes it did get better mpg the only thing I figure it helped push the truck better less stress