Rear drum identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, just picked up a 1995 c1500. Its got some serious brake hop issues from the back. Under light braking, it legitimately feels like the back end of the truck is bouncing.

I pulled the wheels and noted that it has had.rear recent drums and shoes, and some hardware replaced.
The drums are notably smaller in diameter than the backing plates. Im not sure that whoever was in here last used the right stuff.

How do i tell what size rear brakes its supposed to have, or that the rear axle is set up for? That way i can work from backing plate out to get the correct parts, or diagnose further.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Couple of ways. 1 part ID number in glove box, 2 call the dealer and give vin number and ask. 3 Google for the year make and model. I believe there gonna be 10 or 11 drums but I could be missing 1 more size for the 1/2 ton..

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, just picked up a 1995 c1500. Its got some serious brake hop issues from the back. Under light braking, it legitimately feels like the back end of the truck is bouncing.

I pulled the wheels and noted that it has had.rear recent drums and shoes, and some hardware replaced.
The drums are notably smaller in diameter than the backing plates. Im not sure that whoever was in here last used the right stuff.

How do i tell what size rear brakes its supposed to have, or that the rear axle is set up for? That way i can work from backing plate out to get the correct parts, or diagnose further.

Probably be tomorrow, but yes.

I know there's at least two possibilities for size, and with no history on this thing im not sure its the original rear. Or glovebox.
This thing has been beaten....

Will the different bemrakes have different backing plates on the axle?

I wanna say yes. For example my suburban has 11 drums and the backing fits perfect. I would imagine the 10 fits a 10 it would be wierd to have 11 plate with 10 drums. Also look at rock auto. They have most parts and see what they offer. Meaning backing plate sizes and drums

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck is a 93 model and the parts house said I could have example a nine inch brake shoes or thirteen inch shoes check yours.

I’m wondering what size I have my truck is a 2X4 Ext/cab 5.7 engine????

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Half-ton? I'll be surprised if it has something other than the horrible leading/trailing shoe rear brakes.

They're metric-sized, by the way. 254mm x 57mm. Which is to say, they're mighty close to 10 inch diameter.

Ya know.. I read one of your threads about those awful brakes we half ton peeps have, something about how they only adjust if you use the parking brake regularly as that's what actuates the lever which adjusts the star wheel. As an experiment, I had the parking brake cable replaced on my wife's truck, readjusted the shoes and then had her use the parking brake every time she parked. Good practice anyway as it's a stick. You were right; And now I must say that I like this style much better than before, her pedal has a great feel to it and the thing stops with minimal effort now. Before I read that thread, I'd have to pop the drums off once a year, perhaps have them turned to take the lip off and then adjust the star wheels manually, as that's about when I could no longer take the brake pedal sag. I'd have replaced my parking brake cable already but I'm holding out for a six lug 14 bolt SF'r..

We swapped a 3.42 G80 10 bolt in place of her old 3.08 open. Totally slipped my mind that 2WD 'Burbs got the 11"x2"(?) brakes. Wish I would have remembered so we snagged one of those instead but I'm pretty satisfied with the performance of the brakes on her truck.