Rear brake locked up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I pulled the rear cover off my Mustang last year and found the oil sparkly. I put that same fluid back in and bolted it back up. I drove it for another year until I finally got a spare diff and swapped it out.

Just so you know, Amazon can save you about $15 on two quarts of gear oil over buying it at the parts store.
www.amazon.com/dp/B0007QGT34

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: pull the cover of the differential and the oil was brown runny mud looking. After cleaning everything up I didn't notice any teeth damaged or anything. There was metal on the magnet, but I don't know how much is normal (see picture). Diff is 14 bolt 9.5" g80. Haven't had any problems so keeping fingers crossed.

Attachments

• 1000000652.jpg
    1000000652.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1000000654.jpg
    1000000654.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 10

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update: pull the cover of the differential and the oil was brown runny mud looking. After cleaning everything up I didn't notice any teeth damaged or anything. There was metal on the magnet, but I don't know how much is normal (see picture). Diff is 14 bolt 9.5" g80. Haven't had any problems so keeping fingers crossed.
A lot of heat blueing at the ends of the axle shafts.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good eye. I saw that too. I don't know if that is something to worry about or not. Maybe from running low on lube?
My guess would be it's from vigorous clutch pack engagement. More oil in the casing might have helped cool it but any oil there will have taken the thermal hit.
Part of me hopes I need to get a new one with 4.11 ratio, but would need the front too. The rest of me wants to update my boat.
Our GMT 400s - vital to our life but soooo controlling!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The blueing and runny fluid are good finds. I apologize for the recreational maintenance, but if it had been a broken tooth, you definitely would rather know now than later. Thanks for taking the time to check, at least we now know what it isn't.

Pulled the brake drum off last night. Was dry inside and but the rear shoe was sticky on the bottom 3" and front a little bit. Otherwise everything looked normal. After cleaning everything off and the brake cleaner evaporated, the rear side of the wheel cylinder was a little wet.
I had issues when I first got WCJr running with the right rear brake locking up in reverse. The wheel cylinder was leaking and when I replaced it I didn't clean the old fluid off well enough. The brake would self-actualize in reverse. I'm thinking yours was self-actualizing going forward. I scrubbed my brake shoe with rubbing alcohol (cheaper than brake cleaner) until it came clean. That fixed it. If you aren't having any repeats, then I think cleaning your shoe and replacing your wheel cylinder were a good fix.

I can hardly keep up with the honey do list.
Man, ain't that the truth. I haven't done crap on my vehicles in a month now because I'm having to fix everyone else's crap.