Rear brake locked up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
(1999 GMC K2500 8 lug 5.7) Went to use the truck and right rear wheel was skipping on road.. If I backed up it was fine, go forward again and still not turning. Went back and forth a few times and it started working. Brakes were replaced last year and don't have many miles on them. Haven't noticed any leaking brake fluid. This is the second time it has happened. Not looking forward to pulling those big drums off. Or is it my rear end? Asking what to be looking for and suggestions.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably NOT something in the differential, or it'd be goofy backing-up, too.
A broken-off tooth can get pinched by the gear in one direction, and not in the other. I'd pull the drums and inspect, and if nothing looks out of the ordinary, pull the diff cover off and look for FOD.

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update- 14 bolt 9.5" rear end. Hasn't happened again, but crawled under the truck tonight. Found the fill plug on the cover is homemade. Always has had old oil around it, but now is wet and the bottom of the cover is wet also. I added 20oz of 80/90. I will be ordering a new cover and putting new oil in. Pulling the truck wheel off and checking the brakes is on the to do list. I can hardly keep up with the honey do list.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Home made plug? Wow that's sad.
My first guess would have been look for something in the Rt. Brake torquing over something braking locking the wheel. As diff problem most likely would felt and sounded like a rock crusher. Yep the only to tell is open it up. Inspect and evaluate. Good luck.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You were under the truck but didn't bother to pull the rear cover and inspect? It's quite literally a fifteen minute job, and that's if you're slow at putting puckey back on the cover.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So why take it off now?
Went to use the truck and right rear wheel was skipping on road.. If I backed up it was fine, go forward again and still not turning. Went back and forth a few times and it started working.
So far you've been lucky. It truly sounds like you have something loose in the rear. Next time it moves around you may break something serious.

Macs Garage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulled the brake drum off last night. Was dry inside and but the rear shoe was sticky on the bottom 3" and front a little bit. Otherwise everything looked normal. After cleaning everything off and the brake cleaner evaporated, the rear side of the wheel cylinder was a little wet. I replaced the wheel cylinder and twisted the brake line off in the process. Made a new brake line, new brake lines were on my list anyhow so I had the supplies. Revisited the rear end and the bottom bolts on the cover weren't very tight. Hopefully my new cover will arrive before UPS goes on strike.