98 tahoe right rear tires locked up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread from "Towing" to "Axles + Brakes".

There's still time for the differential to explode. Just keep driving it.

Let me guess: 10-bolt, 8.5" ring gear axle assembly.

You're saying the right rear tire skids, but the left rear is still powered? And you have a G80 Gov-Bomb?

I'd think that the speed difference between a powered wheel and a locked-up, skidding wheel would engage the Gov-Lock, and both wheels would skid...or burn up the clutches, or explode the diff case.

I'm thinking that the time to remove the cover and inspect the differential is NOW.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no wishing, or hocus pocus, there is only parts function or they don't function. And the don't function reason is determined by diagnostics. You checked the drum and brakes, checked . Move on , next area, open the diff. One side drives, one side doesn't. Example follows, real life.
If you have a small piece of metal being slung around with the gear lube, it will find a position to jam the gears . And it may get spit out. But it will ruin your day eventually.
A small piece cracked off the cluster shaft in a Muncie four speed. Came around and tried to get between cluster and second gear. BANG! It split the case open.
Something small can get very expensive fast in regards to rear axle differential problem.