Brakes and lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Churro3180

Reaction score
I’ve got a 1991 Chevy c1500 5.7 v8 stock brakes alot of the brake work done to it was bad and I’ve gone to the junk yard and pulled the abs module isolation pump porportional valve and lines all together off a 1994 gmc sierra v6

My question will it fit no problem ? theyre both singlecabs short beds

im planning on going back and pulling the rotors and calibers and just wanted to know if everything will match up

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
It will depend on the RPO brake option that your truck came with from the factory. If both trucks came with JB5 brakes then yes, everything will swap over. If your truck came with JN3 brakes you will need the hubs,rotors,calipers from the donor.
(I don't remember what year that the JN3 was dropped) .

Xombi

Reaction score
Junkyard calipers and rotors are going to be better than those possibly recently replaced on your truck? As cheap as that stuff is new/reman ? Not a good bet to make.
I recommended that course of action to a friend when I knew the car in the yard, as it had been mine and I totaled it, and nearly did myself in too.
What work was allegedly done, what are the symptoms you are experiencing?
Handing over dead presidents and credit card information is a last resort after a careful written out flowchart style diagnosis. Then check your work. Unless of course you are handing over a pile to me. Even then, no.

Churro3180

Reaction score
It will depend on the RPO brake option that your truck came with from the factory. If both trucks came with JB5 brakes then yes, everything will swap over. If your truck came with JN3 brakes you will need the hubs,rotors,calipers from the donor.
Whats is rpo, Jb5,JN3?

Churro3180

Reaction score
Junkyard calipers and rotors are going to be better than those possibly recently replaced on your truck? As cheap as that stuff is new/reman ? Not a good bet to make.
I recommended that course of action to a friend when I knew the car in the yard, as it had been mine and I totaled it, and nearly did myself in too.
What work was allegedly done, what are the symptoms you are experiencing?
Handing over dead presidents and credit card information is a last resort after a careful written out flowchart style diagnosis. Then check your work. Unless of course you are handing over a pile to me. Even then, no.
Rotars and calipers look almost brand new if not goodly used on the totaled truck meanwhile my truck is way past it’s maintenance time. I took off the abs stuff because shops won’t work on my truck without it and I’m getting no brakes. So I’ve got the abs stuff with fairly clean lines and swapping that hoping to get better pressure or at least they can be bled so I can see if I need rotors/pads

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brake option codes from 1988. Later years similar but not exactly the same.

Brake code should be on the sticker inside the glovebox, although occasionally there's a different code listed.
You must be registered for see images attach

JN numbers were used on early-model GMT400s. Essentially the same brake systems later got a JB designation. JN5 and JB5 are effectively the same. JD often but not always refers to hydroboost instead of vacuum booster. And JF9 is the Bendix (not Delco) brakes on the biggest, heaviest C3500HD.

A '91 regular-cab pickup will likely have JB/JN3 brakes--the crappiest, weakest power brakes ever installed on a GMT400. The '94 is likely to have JN/JB5 brakes, wonderful in front, craptastic in the rear because they're the same as the JB/JN3 at the rear.

If you can, upgrade the master cylinder, power booster, front hubs, front rotors, and front calipers to the JN/JB5 stuff. Be aware that upgrading the rear brakes from the 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe design to the 11.x Duo-Servo design actually made more improvement on my '88 K1500.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Brake option codes from 1988. Later years similar but not exactly the same.

Brake code should be on the sticker inside the glovebox, although occasionally there's a different code listed.
You must be registered for see images attach

JN numbers were used on early-model GMT400s. Essentially the same brake systems later got a JB designation. JN5 and JB5 are effectively the same. JD often but not always refers to hydroboost instead of vacuum booster. And JF9 is the Bendix (not Delco) brakes on the biggest, heaviest C3500HD.

A '91 regular-cab pickup will likely have JB/JN3 brakes--the crappiest, weakest power brakes ever installed on a GMT400. The '94 is likely to have JN/JB5 brakes, wonderful in front, craptastic in the rear because they're the same as the JB/JN3 at the rear.

If you can, upgrade the master cylinder, power booster, front hubs, front rotors, and front calipers to the JN/JB5 stuff. Be aware that upgrading the rear brakes from the 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe design to the 11.x Duo-Servo design actually made more improvement on my '88 K1500.
Yep^ I forgot the master and booster but it is required.