K1500 JB5 to JB7 upgrade brake parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jess t

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Upgrade the rear brakes to the 11.x Duo-Servo units instead of that craptastic 254mm Leading-Trailing shoe system"

Been looking at doing this too, BUT does this NOT require replacing the axle housing to one with the correct ends? I have a 90 454SS 14 bolt rear end under my 91 C1500 2WD and DO NOT want to get rid of it. It has the truck's original crappy leading/trailing brakes on it now. From what I have read on this website, the backing plate flanges on the differential were determined by the brake system ordered with the truck, is this not correct? jess in ky

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I waffle back and forth on Hydroboost upgrades. Hydroboost is more-powerful, but it also "feels" weird to me. Maybe that's just the two or three vehicles I've driven (and only one I've owned) with Hydroboost, compared to thousands I've driven with vacuum boost.

The JN3 booster is total crap. The JN/JB5 or 6 vacuum booster seems much more robust.

JB5/6 booster, left. JN3 "pancake" booster, right.
You must be registered for see images attach

Is your 2500 hydroboosted? I'll say the 1500 feels different than before, but not weird to me. Weird to me is when a HB is on the fritz and has that lag and grab.

Hydroboost on a C1500 ? hrmmm

And the diesel 1500 trucks I've seen were all HB, 4L80, and 14BSF.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been looking at doing this too, BUT does this NOT require replacing the axle housing to one with the correct ends?... ...From what I have read on this website, the backing plate flanges on the differential were determined by the brake system ordered with the truck, is this not correct?
That's probably correct. And a damn shame.

Is your 2500 hydroboosted?
Yes. JD7.

And the diesel 1500 trucks I've seen were all HB, 4L80, and 14BSF.
The second 9.5" axle I bought came from a diesel 1500. 11.x rear brakes. Considering going back for the hydroboost. Downside is that the spider and side gears were totaled.

That's also the truck my dashboard HVAC controller came from.

4L80E? I'd better check on that. Maybe I didn't get it because it's already missing. I can't remember.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's probably correct. And a damn shame.

Yes. JD7.

The second 9.5" axle I bought came from a diesel 1500. 11.x rear brakes. Considering going back for the hydroboost. Downside is that the spider and side gears were totaled.

That's also the truck my dashboard HVAC controller came from.

4L80E? I'd better check on that. Maybe I didn't get it because it's already missing. I can't remember.

Way back in 2009 you could still get side/spider gears and cross shaft from AAM for an open diff.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah...but if I'm gonna put money in that axle, it's getting a not-open differential. Put a Truetrac in the 10.5 in the '97 K2500. Mostly I just bought the second 9.5 'cause the price was right. It's the wrong gear ratio for my '88 K1500.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah...but if I'm gonna put money in that axle, it's getting a not-open differential. Put a Truetrac in the 10.5 in the '97 K2500. Mostly I just bought the second 9.5 'cause the price was right. It's the wrong gear ratio for my '88 K1500.

You had a chance to put that Truetrac to work in the snow this year? My dually's G80 is hammered.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You had a chance to put that Truetrac to work in the snow this year? My dually's G80 is hammered.
Not in any meaningful way. It's only been in the last week--ten days that it's gotten below zero. It's like we're not going to have winter this year.

God bless "global warming".