Really wish ppl would stop bringing me trucks with hydraulic fluid in trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. I've used John Deere HyGard in performance TH350,TH400, 4L60E and 4L80E builds for years. The trans runs 20-30* cooler, survives alot longer under extreme conditions (racing, pulling, etc.) It even tightens the stall up by 2-300 rpm, shifts faster and cleaner.

What factual proof, do you have aside from "The OEM wants fluid X or fluid Y"?
Maybe we ought to go back to ***** whale oil. That's was the original ATF.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i used power steering fluid in my trans (jeep xj). It was better than walking back to camp.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t either, it was a trail rig so it was abused.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive used cheap "303" hydraulic fluid in a ton of TH400s and Powerglides. It works plus it can tighten up the torque converter some too.
AW46 works good as well as the low vis John Deer Hyguard.
Some of these 1600hp turbo trucks running 4L80's with a fixed pressure and transbrake last longer with Hyguard for some reason.
Ive killed more transmissions while using Dex III than anything.. SO i guess that is bad fluid?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ive used cheap "303" hydraulic fluid in a ton of TH400s and Powerglides. It works plus it can tighten up the torque converter some too.
AW46 works good as well as the low vis John Deer Hyguard.
Some of these 1600hp turbo trucks running 4L80's with a fixed pressure and transbrake last longer with Hyguard for some reason.
Ive killed more transmissions while using Dex III than anything.. SO i guess that is bad fluid?

If correlation= causation then yes. Seems to work for politicians.