Really wish ppl would stop bringing me trucks with hydraulic fluid in trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So apparently the same ppl that use rotella oil for high mileage vehicles use hydraulic fluid for trans fluid. Cannot convince customer that the reason that he is having trans issues is bc of hydraulic fluid that the last shop filled with. I’m like really…..really??? Shops like that make my job so difficult and makes me want to give up hope and change my career and not be associated with such ignorance

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't fix stupid but on the bright side you can get paid for it!
Kinda sorta the problem with that is by the time customer brings me a headache they are hundreds of dollars in uneeded parts and labor and problem they wanted to fix to begin with still not fixed. And this makes them think that everything that I tell them is bs and not wanting to spend anymore money on repair let alone diag

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"It's the same stuff, innit?" :p

customer brings me a headache... And this makes them think that everything that I tell them is bs
There's a certain point where you look at the customer and say, "If you don't trust me, then you can take it elsewhere." The other side of this is that you have to be trustworthy. Integrity first.

peezy555

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here we go
The problem is that the engineers with over 100 years in automotive technology that develop the fluid specs for transmission don’t recommend anything but DEX 3 or 6. They don’t say note hydraulic fluid can be used instead. Not in anyway am I saying what my grand pappy told me will work isn’t genuine advice it’s just lacking in scientific developments based based on facts and not theories

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
I don't get it. I've used John Deere HyGard in performance TH350,TH400, 4L60E and 4L80E builds for years. The trans runs 20-30* cooler, survives alot longer under extreme conditions (racing, pulling, etc.) It even tightens the stall up by 2-300 rpm, shifts faster and cleaner.

What factual proof, do you have aside from "The OEM wants fluid X or fluid Y"?