Putting in my two cents...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
For the internet experts. Would like to see some hard data on why you think (X) muffler is awesome and (Y) muffler sucks. :gr_grin:

You have been challenged. Thank you.

Richard

No expertise expressed or implied here, just personal experience. No hard data for you either, sorry. I only have apples to apples AB testing for comparison, and it told my SOTP dyno that the

wait for it...

Flowmasters did indeed SUCK. YMMV & happy motoring.

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the internet experts. Would like to see some hard data on why you think (X) muffler is awesome and (Y) muffler sucks. :gr_grin:

You have been challenged. Thank you.

Richard

Challenge accepted! http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts/m5lp-0212-ford-mustang-muffler-comparison-test/

Now, I'm not saying magnaflow is the best, however if you read the info, it performs better than the flows. Maybe marginal, but numbers are true, and it shows proof!

However, I am saying magnaflows are the best for sound (which is purely based on opinion.

mistaake

Reaction score
So basically there is minimal performance difference and it's all about what sound you want and/or what you can afford, right?

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So basically there is minimal performance difference and it's all about what sound you want and/or what you can afford, right?

Correct. If you think flowmasters sound better, get them. Sound is a preference. Flowmaster always tries to get out of their warranty, and typically it's only a 2 year warranty. Magnaflow is lifetime, and they are really good with honoring that

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Most of what I've seen on the various truck message boards, among the younger members, which is suggestive of possibly more than just younger GM truck enthusiasts or owners is that mufflers are purchased for sound, tone, and volume. Performance has little bearing.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The higher the performance of your engine is, the more a restrictive exhaust system will have a negative effect on the performance of the engine. I have a friend who had an LS 1 TA with MF exhaust. At the tune shop that is also a muffler shop, there was an LS1 Camaro with FM exhaust. The owner of the shop, told the Camaro owner to let him switch out his system with MF, and if he didn't gain at least 30 HP he would give him the system for free. He gained 45 HP on the dyno. Keep in mind that I am talking about an engine that was by no means stock. I was there that day and saw this first hand. It made me a real believer of a free flowing exhaust system. For me, sound is secondary, performance is more important to me. The exhaust system, is only one part of a performance engine, and all the performance up grades, need to work together to be completely effective.

mistaake

Reaction score
The higher the performance of your engine is, the more a restrictive exhaust system will have a negative effect on the performance of the engine. I have a friend who had an LS 1 TA with MF exhaust. At the tune shop that is also a muffler shop, there was an LS1 Camaro with FM exhaust. The owner of the shop, told the Camaro owner to let him switch out his system with MF, and if he didn't gain at least 30 HP he would give him the system for free. He gained 45 HP on the dyno. Keep in mind that I am talking about an engine that was by no means stock. I was there that day and saw this first hand. It made me a real believer of a free flowing exhaust system. For me, sound is secondary, performance is more important to me. The exhaust system, is only one part of a performance engine, and all the performance up grades, need to work together to be completely effective.

Right - but on a stock 95 Suburban with a tired 5.7 TBI the exhaust is not a limitation, or is it? And any aftermarket muffler (whether it's FM or MF) will not decrease performance, right?

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right - but on a stock 95 Suburban with a tired 5.7 TBI the exhaust is not a limitation, or is it? And any aftermarket muffler (whether it's FM or MF) will not decrease performance, right?

Do you have the stock muffler, and stock diameter pipe?

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am attempting to compare performance increase or decrease based on the muffler only.

So stock exhaust with stock muffler vs stock exhaust with aftermarket muffler.
Yeah, those stock mufflers are horrible. Any sort of aftermarket performance muffler will help. Changing your exhaust isn't going to put enough power out, that you'll even notice much of a difference. But your truck will sure appreciate being able to breath better. Plus, it will sound better.