Putting in my two cents...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the old debate will always be just that... A debate. So I thought I would put in my opinion, considering I was the assistant manager for an exhaust shop for a few years. I always had to know the "latest, and greatest" about all types of different exhaust set ups. Hence, the reason I run with these guys, on the Yukon
You must be registered for see images attach

Now, before we get too crazy, let me also say, if "sound" is all a guy is concerned with... Well then that's a relative term. Sound of exhaust is like flavor of ice cream. My taste is different from the next guys. Performance and sound are both a concern to me. And with MF, I get the best of both worlds. My set up is simply stock manifolds (both of which had broken bolts in them when I bought the truck. I immediately fixed this. Resurfaced the manifolds, ran high temp sealant, and no gaskets), factory head pips, and y-pipe (both of which are changing soon, do to restriction, and running a crazy equal length set up on the head pipes), into a converterless 3", back to an MF 14" round body, and a single 3" mandrel bent tail pipe, with a 4" powder coated black, slant cut, and rolled tip (tips are simply easy on the eyes. As dumb as that sounds, we used to get alot of people asking how much power gains they would get out of nothing but a shiny tip). FM in my opinion sound very tin can like. They drone like crazy. They are more restrictive. And FM ALWAYS has a problem honoring warranty for some reason. I will however say, if you want louder, go with a baffled muffler such as FM. Especially if you're keeping cats, and want noise. Straight pipes sound like garbage IMO, and headers are nothing but headache, unless you're running over 400hp. I had a set of shorties given to me for my truck before I fixed the manifolds, and I gave them away. The equal length head pipes will be simply for the sound change, and the new y-pipe will be to eliminate factory restriction (which was intentional by GM). Back pressure is not a good thing for performance, however, too large of a diameter can be a loss, if running a lower powered motor. Are you going to make a tire roaster out of a stock motor, simply by upgrading exhaust? No. But you will release a few ponies, while improving mpg. Not to mention, who doesn't like to hear 8 cylinders doing their job?! A great company to check out for you guys, is a company called "different trendz". If you don't need name brand, this is a quality company, with great prices. They also make all different types, and styles of mufflers, and exhaust parts. I know there are some die hard FM fanatics out there, and I'll probably catch alot of grief from them in this thread, but that's OK. Thanks to everyone for the read. I'm also up for criticism, as I love to learn new things.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the reasoning of this post was...

But 3" mandrel bent through a 14" dynomax is what I'm running. You can find my writeup around here somewhere.

Portedfrankenstien

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More of insomnia than anything. And taking the time to read through the posts on here, and noticed it was a question that was asked a few times. Wasn't trying to waste anyone's time. Sorry if I did

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
More of insomnia than anything. And taking the time to read through the posts on here, and noticed it was a question that was asked a few times. Wasn't trying to waste anyone's time. Sorry if I did

No worries man; It was just taken like if you were to walk up to someones table randomly, at a restaurant, taking some of their food, and then mentioning something random like "So how about the gas quality around here, and those pesky emissions?".

0_0 Wtf?!