Project Ted, a 1993 RCSB 496 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
So I was informed that there is actually a shifter relocation kit you can buy for the TKO600, I may have to look into that. Since the original trans was a top loader, it sat a little farther forwards than the one as it sits now. It seems to be not too complicated, but from what I have seen, they are pricey. I'm going to have to do some measuring to see if its something I will need to do, or if I can get away with just cutting a hole farther back and making a custom shifter that bends forwards a little. I might just go that route, as long as its not too close to the seat.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
So I was informed that there is actually a shifter relocation kit you can buy for the TKO600, I may have to look into that. Since the original trans was a top loader, it sat a little farther forwards than the one as it sits now. It seems to be not too complicated, but from what I have seen, they are pricey. I'm going to have to do some measuring to see if its something I will need to do, or if I can get away with just cutting a hole farther back and making a custom shifter that bends forwards a little. I might just go that route, as long as its not too close to the seat.

If I remember right, there are three locations you can place the shifter on that trans.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
If I remember right, there are three locations you can place the shifter on that trans.
I was wondering if each of the block off plates on the top were for that. I don't think i'd need the one all the way up front, but if I can get away with it where it is now, i'd rather just leave it. The one that is on there is a short shifter, so even if it is longer than the average shifter, shouldn't have too much throw and run into the seat. I didn't do a whole lot of searching, but I saw one kit on ebay for $400, i'd rather not have to spend that much.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I was wondering if each of the block off plates on the top were for that. I don't think i'd need the one all the way up front, but if I can get away with it where it is now, i'd rather just leave it. The one that is on there is a short shifter, so even if it is longer than the average shifter, shouldn't have too much throw and run into the seat. I didn't do a whole lot of searching, but I saw one kit on ebay for $400, i'd rather not have to do that.

Yeah, the far forward one is for Fox Body/SN95 Mustangs. There's not much to swapping locations. It's been a long time, but I don't think it's very difficult.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Yeah, the far forward one is for Fox Body/SN95 Mustangs. There's not much to swapping locations. It's been a long time, but I don't think it's very difficult.
I briefly glanced over a copy of the instructions online, remove the tailshaft housing, pop out a couple roll pins, and swap a few parts over. Not too bad. I'll just have to do some measurements to see about where it will come through. Since the cab is off, i'll just use the cab mounts as a reference.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Didn't do a whole lot today, I did bring in the belt tensioner bracket and the gas tank support bracket to work and buzzed the rust off and painted them. I cleaned off the gas tank and threw a coat of paint on it, but it probably won't do much good since the tank was aftermarket and someone already undercoated it, and it started smearing pretty good while I was cleaning it off. I have a new pump/sending unit, along with new straps, maybe i'll get that all together and on this weekend. It should be pretty easy since there is no cab or box!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
So on a side note, I now own this car again, a 1987 Nissan Pulsar. I bought it last summer, and ended up selling it to a friend for a project. Long story short, he wants a new truck and I bought it back. Not sure what i'm going to do with it, but I think i'm going to hang on to it as a small project. Its too cool to sell, unless I get the right offer I guess
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Got out of work today, and since it was nicer weather than expected, I was able to do all of my yard work, mowed the whole lawn, weed whacked, and put down 2 yards of mulch. Still had enough energy to paint the gas tank with the same paint that I have on the frame, but I used a brush so I could put it on real thick. Hopefully it dries enough to install tomorrow night.