Project Ted, a 1993 RCSB 496 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM also called it a 400 in the 70-72 ( IIRC, might have just been the 71 and 72's) pickups, 400 fender badge.
Square bodies got the SB 400.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I do plan on using the 402 engine since it is completely numbers matching. It also has the correct dated heads and Intake manifold, I'll use the heads at least since they have been completely gone over, as well as the block and crank. It came with higher domed pistons so it will have a higher compression ratio than stock, haven't checked to see how much yet. The only thing this engine didn't come with is a camshaft.
You must be registered for see images attach

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
402, was the same engine as a 396. In 1970, GM did some changes to the 396, and it became a 402. For 1970, GM still called it a 396 though. The 396 was so we'll know by the public, GM didn't want to loose that rep, so they keep calling a 402, a 396. A 402 can be built to make some good HP. They were around 365 HP stock, I think. No to hard to build that into the 450-500 HP range. A number matching 402 SS Chevelle would be worth more money than one with a swapped engine.
Net hp numbers instead of sae numbers, dropping from 11 to mid 8 compression ratios weak cams due to emissions standards and open chamber heads with smaller valves dropped the performance tremendously.

Just my opinion that you didn't ask for, I don't consider a mid 200s engine a performance engine. Yes, if you cam and head swap then you'll get a decent runner but if your going to go big block, go big. Justin's comment about a manual swap made me think that he wanted to enjoy the power of a big block.

Otherwise restore it back to stock (including keeping it an automatic) and enjoy its value and drive it like anything can happen to it at anytime.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Net hp numbers instead of sae numbers, dropping from 11 to mid 8 compression ratios weak cams due to emissions standards and open chamber heads with smaller valves dropped the performance tremendously.

Just my opinion that you didn't ask for, I don't consider a mid 200s engine a performance engine. Yes, if you cam and head swap then you'll get a decent runner but if your going to go big block, go big. Justin's comment about a manual swap made me think that he wanted to enjoy the power of a big block.

Otherwise restore it back to stock (including keeping it an automatic) and enjoy its value and drive it like anything can happen to it at anytime.
If the TH400 that came with it was numbers matching I would have kept it auto, but it came back as being from a 1982 Chevy truck.
I don't plan on restoring the car back to factory specs anytime soon, it was originally gold with black stripes and black vinyl top which isn't what I'd want to do. If this engine wasn't numbers matching and completely gone through I would be selling that as well. So far all I've had to buy is a full gasket set, and will need a camshaft/pushrods (definitely upgrading the camshaft at least).