Project Ted, a 1993 RCSB 496 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
So I'm pretty excited about this, recently I decided that im going to add a few style cues from the 90s NASCAR Craftman trucks. Alrrady has the Aero wheels, and I ordered the tailgate spoiler a couple weeks ago. I found a local guy who had some legit used boom tubes. I couldn't decide which way I wanted to go, either one smaller pipe out each side or the huge one out one side. I ended up buying all 3 so I have the options. I am leaning towards the huge one. Will need to modify it a little to bolt up to the headers and come out at the angle I want.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Did a real quick mock up of the boom tube. It's sticking out way farther than where it will end up, I just set it there for a rough idea front to back. I think it's inspiring me to finish up a few things that are under the bed so I can put it back on and figure this out. Oh, also picked up a cool race used NASCAR tire from someone local, just going to be a shop decoration.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Did a little bit of work last night, had the barrel stove cranking since it was around 15 degrees out. I got the new replacement springs that are supposed to be 2" lowering, and once again i think it sits way too high, but this time im going to leave it to let them settle and see what happens. I was fighting with one of them trying to get it to sit in position so I think once it does seat fully it will drop more. Since i was in there again, i figured I'd throw my brakes on to keep me motivated to get it moving before the rotors get rusty :D i put the new calipers on too, and they just barely don't clear the wheels, so it looks like I need a pair of 1/4 inch spacers to fix that.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Well, I finally did something, I traded it for another project. It was a big decision that wasn't easy, but I finally admitted to myself that despite the time and money i've dumped into it, I have just lost interest, and the right project car came along at the right time. Looking back I realized I have hardly done anything to it in the past couple years, and I think most of it is because I already have another black big block 5 speed truck that I drive on a regular basis and that scratches my OBS itch. Definitely sad to see it go though, but it is definitely in good hands.

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score
Well, I finally did something, I traded it for another project. It was a big decision that wasn't easy, but I finally admitted to myself that despite the time and money i've dumped into it, I have just lost interest, and the right project car came along at the right time. Looking back I realized I have hardly done anything to it in the past couple years, and I think most of it is because I already have another black big block 5 speed truck that I drive on a regular basis and that scratches my OBS itch. Definitely sad to see it go though, but it is definitely in good hands.
Well ****.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Excuse me but you didn't post what you traded for so we can't accurately bash your decision. Post up dang it!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Excuse me but you didn't post what you traded for so we can't accurately bash your decision. Post up dang it!
Well, it's a 1972 Chevelle SS402. I was luckily able to get documents to prove it is a real SS. Has all new body panels and no rust but needs finishing and paint. Came with the completely redone numbers matching block, heads, intake, etc just needs to be put back together. Came with a non original TH400 but I sold that already, I'll be doing a manual swap for sure. I've owned a few in the past and always wanted another, I've never had a real SS or real big block one.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, it's a 1972 Chevelle SS402. I was luckily able to get documents to prove it is a real SS. Has all new body panels and no rust but needs finishing and paint. Came with the completely redone numbers matching block, heads, intake, etc just needs to be put back together. Came with a non original TH400 but I sold that already, I'll be doing a manual swap for sure. I've owned a few in the past and always wanted another, I've never had a real SS or real big block one.
I guess that we can't bash you too bad unless you keep the wheezer 402 in there. Now if you did a 572 with stock appearance and made it a sleeper then we couldn't bash you, in fact we'd we checking out your taillights or smelling tire smoke!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard of a 396, 400 SBC, 409, 427, 454, never a 402. Seeing how 72 wasn't exactly the pinnacle of the muscle car time, and hearing what Skylark had to say, I'm guessing it was nothing to write home about. To hell with the numbers, build a cool car.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard of a 396, 400 SBC, 409, 427, 454, never a 402. Seeing how 72 wasn't exactly the pinnacle of the muscle car time, and hearing what Skylark had to say, I'm guessing it was nothing to write home about. To hell with the numbers, build a cool car.
402, was the same engine as a 396. In 1970, GM did some changes to the 396, and it became a 402. For 1970, GM still called it a 396 though. The 396 was so we'll know by the public, GM didn't want to loose that rep, so they keep calling a 402, a 396. A 402 can be built to make some good HP. They were around 365 HP stock, I think. No to hard to build that into the 450-500 HP range. A number matching 402 SS Chevelle would be worth more money than one with a swapped engine.