Project: SAS Tow Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about that. The worst part is I actually read that when it was first posted and I completely forgot.

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey man, could you get me some more pics of the whole front end. Maybe some from the drivers side. Seeing how fast you did this has definetly put me over the top on doing the swap. I picked up a HP D44 with chevy outers today along with a set of stock springs out of a 84 K1500. I figure those will work fine to start with and they were free. I won't need new rims or tires right away. I'm thinking I'll just go with the kit from ORU and make my own steering set up. How did you run your front brakes? Are you running any front shocks? Do you have any other advice?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Looks great man, definatly a much better stance. Few questions.

Since your towing/streeting this one, you going to do something for a swaybar up front?

For a front driveshaft, try getting one from a 82-91 truck with a 208 or 241 case. Mines from a 91 burban and it fits perfectly, just ground the CV joint down a bit. I'd give that a shot. If you want me to measure mine I can take a tape out there.

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
Hey man, could you get me some more pics of the whole front end. Maybe some from the drivers side. Seeing how fast you did this has definetly put me over the top on doing the swap. I picked up a HP D44 with chevy outers today along with a set of stock springs out of a 84 K1500. I figure those will work fine to start with and they were free. I won't need new rims or tires right away. I'm thinking I'll just go with the kit from ORU and make my own steering set up. How did you run your front brakes? Are you running any front shocks? Do you have any other advice?

yea ill get a few more pics for you, the ORU hangers are fine just get your wallet ready... im glad i made my own rear hangers, making them with the shackle pivot point forward 1/2" made a world of difference in the shackle angle. for the front brakes i took the stock rubber soft line and bolted it directly to the caliper lol i didnt even have to bend the hard line down any, this isnt gonna be a rock crawler so im not worried about using all braided stainless stuff.. yea i just got my shocks on the other day, i got some 4" lift application shocks in the back and 10" travels for up front (~26" extended/~16" compressed) all bilstein 5125s

love the shocks but i definitely should have got the normal 2" springs... these 2" HD springs are STIFF

Looks great man, definatly a much better stance. Few questions.

Since your towing/streeting this one, you going to do something for a swaybar up front?

For a front driveshaft, try getting one from a 82-91 truck with a 208 or 241 case. Mines from a 91 burban and it fits perfectly, just ground the CV joint down a bit. I'd give that a shot. If you want me to measure mine I can take a tape out there.

thanks for the compliments! yea i planin on trying to hook up the stock sway bar here in the near future... hopefully it will work, but if not ima gonna see about getting one made

i wish i could run a dual cardon shaft like you but i have a 243 so there is no room for the big CV next to the shift motor on the side of the case ive heard of ppl running a toyota CV on a 243 but thats about it... this wont be a flex monster and i have a hi pinion axle so im not real worried about using the stock ifs shaft, it should give me all the angle i need

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
i really need to do some cosmetic grinding and painting :banghead:

fender measurements: 43.5" front 43" rear
fender to center of hub measurements: 27.75" front 27" rear... exactly 4.75" of lift front and rear over the stock #s of 23" front 22.25" rear

front shackle angle

You must be registered for see images attach

rear shackle angle

need to get my pinion down a bit... driveline vibe ftl

Last edited:

heavrolet9894

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man that looks great. I know the ORU kit is expensive but I think that will be the best way for me to go.I see what your saying about the front shackle angle. I wonder what will be the best way to fix that when I do the swap. I found a 14 bolt I might pick up from a friend but I when I went to look at it the tubes look like they have been pulled about a little over a 1/4". Below is a pic of the axle. Does this look normal to anyone else here?

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
shoulda got pics with the whole frame down to bare metal... oh well

2 cans of rust tuff primer, 4 cans of rust tuff flat black and $40 bucks later here she is

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
So I know you did it first but I am hopefully going to be running the exact same setup you are in about 2 weeks. Not my choice just the opportunity has risen and I am going to take it if I can get the cash together. So wanna come give me a hand? I'll buy the beer.