Project: SAS Tow Rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
Well I tried to convince myself against this many times but I just couldn't help myself...

I bought the truck back in September of '08 with 212k miles on it, it has been evident that the truck has been towed with pretty often and probably pretty hard over its lifetime. The truck is currently sitting at a lil over 225k miles and the front suspension/brakes are in every way, shape and form wore out. Instead of doing what some would some say is the right thing to do, which is rebuilding the IFS completely, I'm opting for some ole fashioned SASage. The decision was made easier knowing that one of the bolts that holds the unit bearings onto my pass side knuckle is completely stripped and would be a ***** to back out, which would have to be done in order to change the rotor that is in desperate need of replacing.

I'm sure most are familiar with the truck in question but if not here are a few pics for consideration...

You must be registered for see images attach

The plan:

Front:
home made, ORU'esk hangers with stock ORU shackles
79' F-250 D44 with chevy 8 lug outers
x-over
2"HD Tuff Country front springs
perches redrilled to relocate axle 1" forward
hopefully retaining the stock swaybar
panhard bar to come in the future

Rear:
ORD shackle flip
DIY4X UDSR 5" shackles
3* shims
U-bolt flip
perches redrilled to relocate axle 1" back

Misc:
4.56 gears
complete 14ff bearing and drum brake rebuild
315/75R16 Xterrains
bilstein 5100 shocks

on to the pics of what ive got collected so far...

much thanks go out to Kelly for donating these front hangers... hope you enjoyed your beer! haha

all that needs to be done is a quick clean up, a few holes drilled and a coat of fresh black rattle can

DIY4X 14ff U-bolt plates

DIY4X multi position shackle brackets that prolly wont be used and 5" UDSR shackles

2"HD Tuff Country springs

315/75R16 Xterrians... 5 in number

all the rest of my parts from ORD should be here ether late this week or early next week, also went to the scrap yard today and snatched up a 8 foot long piece of 10" tall 3/16" flat bar to finish making my rear hangers

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
This is gonna be good.
So what did you do order the ORU kit take measurements then return it?

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Wish I had a buddy with the kit to take measurements off of.
With that being said, if someone would like to pm me the measurements in question I would appreciate it.

JAYB1RD

Reaction score
Nice rig, and nice parts list too!

I'm about to rebuild a f250 hp44 to swap into my truck and I want to keep the 8-lug stuff so I'm curious; why use 8-lug chevy outers as opposed to the 8-lug ford outers? Differences in the brakes? You prefer 6 bolt chevy spindles to 5 lug fords? Something else?

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
Nice rig, and nice parts list too!

I'm about to rebuild a f250 hp44 to swap into my truck and I want to keep the 8-lug stuff so I'm curious; why use 8-lug chevy outers as opposed to the 8-lug ford outers? Differences in the brakes? You prefer 6 bolt chevy spindles to 5 lug fords? Something else?

the reason it has chevy outers on it is because it belongs to a buddy of mine that i sold my old 8 lug 10bolt front to... he in turn bought a bare d44 housing and swapped all my 10bolt outers on it and put some gears and inner shafts in it so he could use his stock driver drop tcase... so in turn nothing to do with mechanical betterness in one field or the other, its just the way things happened lol

Glad your getting to it.

Makes me want to SAS another rig. I'm trying to get school out of the way so I can get a CCLB duramax and SAS it.

hell yea! im pretty pumped IMFO

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh boy. This is gonna be good. Get to it Drew!