L31 Extreme Budget Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drives incredibly nice now. Steers like a new van, steering is nice and tight although I do need to tighten the tilt bowl up soon as I can tell it is starting to loosen up.

Now that I am not running it hard out of every stop, fuel mileage is definitely better. Captured a screen recording just accelerating at a normal pace up an uphill ramp to 65-70 mph. Under 1/2 throttle and did not mash it hard enough to get into Power Enrichment fuel either. Still plenty of torque to get rolling. It pulls so smoothly and seamlessly. The old TH400 is shifting very well although still a bit late, need to mess with the governor again still. It is hanging the upshifts out a bit more than it needs too, especially 2-3. After getting on the road, set the cruise and was just chilling at the 65 mph speed limit in the right lane.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drives incredibly nice now. Steers like a new van, steering is nice and tight although I do need to tighten the tilt bowl up soon as I can tell it is starting to loosen up.

Now that I am not running it hard out of every stop, fuel mileage is definitely better. Captured a screen recording just accelerating at a normal pace up an uphill ramp to 65 mph. Under 1/2 throttle and did not mash it hard enough to get into Power Enrichment fuel either. Still plenty of torque to get rolling. It pulls so smoothly and seamlessly. The old TH400 is shifting very well although still a bit late, need to mess with the governor again still. It is hanging the upshifts out a bit more than it needs too, especially 2-3.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
What does the 9.84 injection mean?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So need heavier secondary weights then. Which shouldn't really affect the 1-2 if I remember last year's schooling correctly.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or lighter springs?

I thought the 1-2 shift was a little sloppy too.
1-2 late but nice in firmness, not rubbery but not rattle the doors either. The engine is pulling a good bit of vacuum on the modulator on those part-throttle upshifts, ~8-10 in/hg.