Project 2000 Z71 Tahoe to LQ9 Daily Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys wanted to make a thread on my first GMT400 build. I actually posted this in another section, but then realized wtf I am the only one that's allowed to post in there. So here's the story on this truck. About a month ago, I hopped on craigslist looking at $1000 cars and came across this repo 2000 Tahoe Z71. Ever since high school, I wanted one of these. I just love the Alcoa wheels, brush guard, etc. Only the rich kid parents had these things back then. This one though... was beyond filthy, wouldn't pass CA emissions, dangerous loosey goosey steering, front and rear brakes down to the metal, front end clunks, rear end whines, 3 different brands of tires, driver's door panel broke, lock solenoids inoperative, a/c warm, and 191k very hard miles at the hands of a painter who left evidence in the form of little white paint splatters all over the place. Just about the opposite of what you would look for in a driver. BUT, it ran good, tags up to date, didn't overheat, trans shifts great, and price was most definitely right :ryu-cvs-hadoken-a:. The inside looked and smelled like a family of seven was living in it who's parents smoked 2 packs a day each (hell maybe even the kids were puffing away too). I have a high school buddy who owns a shop and we tackled a bunch of the little stuff in a weekend and the rest I let him take care of over the course of a week when he had time. So far, I've done:

a/c recharged, now blows nice and cold and no leaks (at least when I do the motor swap in the weeks ahead, I know I'm starting with a functional system). The rear a/c does not work, not sure if that's a bad blower motor or?
new Bilstein HD's (originals completely blown out)
two new front upper control arms (original bushings were metal to metal)
new BFG All Terrains, stock size
new lower balljoints, inner/ outer tie rods, pitman/ idler arms, steering box tightened, alignment
new swaybar bushings/ endlinks
new torsion bar links
new front rotors, new pads, new rear drums, new shoes (brakes were 110% done, can't believe I got it home when I took it apart)
junkyard driver's lock solenoid got the locks working again
new cheapo Dorman inner door handle and bezel got the panel back on (original was missing)
3 hours of scrubbing the seats, headliner, panels and windows + cups of baking soda and charcoal placed throughout, and ammonia sprayed into the heater vents got the interior acceptable and eliminated 99% of the cigarette smell. I was worried I'd never get it out, but windex and a medium coarse bristle brush on the leather seats and side panels was really effective. For the headliner, I sprayed windex on a terry cloth and rubbed in one direction and a TON of brown crap came off.

Before pics:
You must be registered for see images attach

I won't even bother posting a before pic of the outside pre-cleaning, but this is the result of several hours of washing, claying, waxing, and polishing. This is really the main reason I picked up this hunk of junk, because I could tell the exterior would clean up nicely.

Anyways, onto the mods. First order of business after getting the truck at least driveable (brakes) was the rear end. Leaky, whining, and gravely sounding (bad axle bearings at the minimum). Long story short, new axles, gears, bearings, seals, and a Truetrac and MagHytec cover and the rear end is silent and will provide a good foundation for some basic wheeling and towing I plan to do with this thing. And by wheeling I mean driving on the sand at the local beach where there's a lookout spot only accessible to 4wd's lol...

Fresh set off BFG All-Terrains:

The interior after a new carpet, deep cleaning, new driver's seat cushion and seat cover. I still need to source a lower dash (power outlet) panel as the previous owner had an ashtray fire and that whole area was real nasty up under the dash. Please note the white powder substance is baking soda to absorb residual bad odors!

Plans are a mild LQ9, longtubes, BTR stage 1 truck cam, CAI, and new gaskets/ LS6 springs. I also plan to do the GMT800 pre-05 brakes (smaller rotor) and master cylinder, and use the 4L60E that will come with the 02 Escalade LQ9 I purchased. I'll be using a Nelson swap harness and will reuse my GMT400 transfer case. No need to make this brick any less fuel efficient than it is by converting to awd. Anyone have any idea what off the shelf GMT400 LS swap headers will work on a 4WD? I know the 2wd guys use Schoenfield but I can't get a straight answer for 4WD.

Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you know you can modify your existing engine harness for the LS swap and use a 411 pcm instead of a stand alone setup.

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the props! I'm in love with the color too.

Did you know you can modify your existing engine harness for the LS swap and use a 411 pcm instead of a stand alone setup.

I read that, but I decided from a time standpoint not to mess with the factory harness or modifying the LQ9 harness that the motor came with. Time = money. I have my hands quite full with work and a couple other ongoing builds, so my aim is for this one to be as headache free as possible and back on the road with minimal downtime. But do enlighten me about modifying the stock harness and adding wires for the coil packs and other sensors. I've heard guys say several times not to bother with modifying the stock harness, that it's easier and cleaner to use a stand alone? Plus my motor is DBW so I'd have to add the tac module wiring in addition to everything else.

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Damn that cleaned up great!! The new BFG's add a nice touch to any stock vehicle, they're one of my favorite tires. I still am rolling on a set i bought in 2008.

Just need a Denali/Escalade cluster to go in there now. Can't wait to see the LS swap happen!!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've only read about it to. Probably the same stuff you read. It seems cheaper an easier to me to add in a little wiring an swap to a cable operated throttle body than spend 500 or more on a custom stand alone harness. I don't mind doing wiring though. Are you still going to run the factory wiring/computer for gauges?

dmr22

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, looks great, I would be proud to call that mine any day!