Posi vs lockers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have the K1500 but rarely do I really need a lot of 4x4, I mostly DD it, a little bit of pavement, quite a bit of gravel, and some in town stuff. Are either of these worth it? I do use 4x4 when doing some jobs I've heard that a locker can make turning dangerous because they won't let any traction escape. Would a posi in back and selective locker in front be a better option?

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Unless you feel you are limited in traction with your current setup, I would say it is not worth it for you.

A locker, Detroit/Yukon, will keep the wheels locked until outside pressure (turning on pavement) overcomes the lock.

G80, stock GM locker, is an open diff that locks abruptly at a predetermined rpm difference in tire speed.

Posi, the over broadened slang term used to describe GM’s stock clutch style LSD.

As far as I last checked, no one makes a selectable or otherwise front locker for 8.25 GM front differential.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you feel you are limited in traction with your current setup, I would say it is not worth it for you.

A locker, Detroit/Yukon, will keep the wheels locked until outside pressure (turning on pavement) overcomes the lock.

G80, stock GM locker, is an open diff that locks abruptly at a predetermined rpm difference in tire speed.

Posi, the over broadened slang term used to describe GM’s stock clutch style LSD.

As far as I last checked, no one makes a selectable or otherwise front locker for 8.25 GM front differential.
Thanks for the reply. I'll save the money for a cam or headers than.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I would highly recommend not getting a front posi, I have been told to stay away from front posi's.

I have read a lot stories of the G80 locker. End reading results: not the greatest.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are three kinds of differentials. An open diff, a limited slip, and a positive traction diff. Open diff, allows the outer wheel turn faster than the inner wheel when making a turn. Limited slip also does this, but under torque, it locks both wheel together for traction. True positive traction, has both wheels locked together all of the time, so as you turn, it drags the outer tire around a corner. Not good for tire life, but grate on the drag race track. There are locker kits that you can buy to make an open diff, a limited slip diff. I have wanted to install a powertrax no slip in my truck for a long time, but they are around $500. I live in a small city about 200,000 people, but our metro area is almost 1/2 million people. Well needless to say there are times that I need to accelerate hard while turning, and I know that a locker would lock my tires under hard acceleration, so I keep putting it off. Powertrax also makes one for about $350 or so, but it is not as street friendly. Just click the link
https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=no slip&N=400018

Last edited:

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no experience with a 10.5" rear but for the 8.6 in the GMT800s ive ran Eaton LSD's and never had a complaint. Put 300k miles on my last one and it was still kicking the last time i drove it.
The 91 C1500 im working on now has the same Eaton and it works great. Ive used them very little off road but they do great from my experience.
Ive got the Eaton E Locker in my other truck with a 9.5" and love/hate it.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have the K1500 but rarely do I really need a lot of 4x4, I mostly DD it, a little bit of pavement, quite a bit of gravel, and some in town stuff. Are either of these worth it? I do use 4x4 when doing some jobs I've heard that a locker can make turning dangerous because they won't let any traction escape. Would a posi in back and selective locker in front be a better option?
Check this out:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

In a limited traction situation all the torque goes to the wheel with the least resistance. That’s when a locker makes all the difference.