Posi vs lockers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have seriously abused my other truck. But i put goodies in it so i could abuse it :D
Ever smoked the rear tires with a 7200# trailer in tow?
Its quite scary the first time it happened.

The way the G80 Locks up is violent, when it locks several times a day, they dont last long. Adding heavier tires or more power and their life span shortens fast.
I like the Eaton LSD alot better. But using springs and a couple clutch packs its no locker.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both of my 10 bolt G80s still "work," but I hate them both. Super unpredictable.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
GM designates presence of a traction aiding device in GMT400 pickups with the RPO code G80. The code G80 is not exclusive to the GMT400 or the type of traction aiding device in the GMT400. The traction aiding device used in GMT400 trucks is the Eaton Gov-Lock. The unit installed in half ton pickups and SUV's with 8.5" rear ends was designed for a lighter vehicle with less torque. They break. Sometimes from extreme duty, sometimes from hotrodding, sometimes completely out of the blue.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I've had the g80, 'lunchbox' locker, and LSD in the same truck before.

An LSD is no locker but it does just fine on snowy streets.

A lunchbox locker is great for summer off-roading but SUCKS in cold weather on the street!! it doesn't stay locked and fails to re-lock when its cold (until the fluid heads up from sheer-heat by driving it), forcing you to pull over, stop, put in reverse to re-lock it then get going again. VERY Annoying!!

And the G80 is a compromise of both. unpredictable most of the time and often scary in the winter but it does lock both wheels and keeps them locked as long as you keep power going to it.

Never tried a full detroit locker, spool or selectable but if I were to do it again, I would pay the extra money up front for a selectable locker!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And the G80 is a compromise of both. unpredictable most of the time and often scary in the winter but it does lock both wheels and keeps them locked as long as you keep power going to it.

Until you exceed 20MPH or so, then they unlock again. Which is irritating as hell.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had a couple crown vics with fords clutched limited slip in them. I assume Chevys posi works the same way. My yukon has the g80.
The limited slip is much better for on-road spirited driving than the locker, and the locker is way better for low speed off roading.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Until you exceed 20MPH or so, then they unlock again. Which is irritating as hell.

Pretty sure it only unlocks above 20 once you lift. You'd think I'd have a more certain answer owning 3 vehicles with these diffs. . .

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure it only unlocks above 20 once you lift. You'd think I'd have a more certain answer owning 3 vehicles with these diffs. . .

I've absolutely had both of mine unlock on me when I still had my foot all the way to the floor, but to be honest that was back when I was running friction modifier in both of them due to being a dummy.

Haven't tested the Suburban since I drained and refilled it with straight 80W-90, and my truck won't be doing any slides in the near future until I put a different axle under it with 4.10s or better. The 80E swap definitely took some pep out of the 4.3, 3.42s aren't helping.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
You guys can flame me if I'm wrong or they're different but I had a 2011 Colorado with the four banger, five speed and the G80 option. It would lock fairly early and would stay locked until I got off it. I bought the truck new. I sometimes popped the clutch to make sharp turn arounds and would dump the clutch in 3rd or 2nd on snowy roads to go sideways. The ass was really squirrely so I'm certain both wheels were spinning and the thing was going faster than 20. Maybe the revised them? No idea.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You guys can flame me if I'm wrong or they're different but I had a 2011 Colorado with the four banger, five speed and the G80 option. It would lock fairly early and would stay locked until I got off it. I bought the truck new. I sometimes popped the clutch to make sharp turn arounds and would dump the clutch in 3rd or 2nd on snowy roads to go sideways. The ass was really squirrely so I'm certain both wheels were spinning and the thing was going faster than 20. Maybe the revised them? No idea.

A Open diff will do that if you drop the clutch, Its enough force to hit the spider gears and get both axles spinning. If you were to slowly let out on the clutch it would peg leg.