P1345 code assist. Questions. 1996 GMC K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that shoots down the Chinese children theory.

Or does it? Something like this dizzy can be manufactured correctly but one way.

But it can be manufactured incorrectly many, many ways? How do we know that the
white mark is correct?

You must be registered for see images attach

In a way this reminds me of when I was in Basic Training at Lackland AFB, we were at the range,
and being instructed to never point a weapon at a fellow Airman, even if the safety was on.

Drill Instructor: "Do you know what a Safety is?"

Us: "No, Sir!"

Drill Instructor: "It is a device that can FAIL!"

Us: "Yes, Sir!"

So he taught me a valuable lesson. Observe everything, don't accept on faith
that it's right, but instead learn how to prove to yourself that it *is* working
as designed.

Right now everything looks correct? But @SUBURBAN5 is currently only being
given 2 choices: Too early, or too late?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: I guess that reply #68 came in while I was writing this, so when I wrote the
above I had yet to see the status report from SUBURBAN5?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am genuinely looking forward to what his engine + VCM tells us once he gets this
gear re-phased, the dizzy back in, and the adjustment is re-attempted?

One last thing, if you could get a Big Picture beauty shot of your dizzy post modification
it would be helpful. (Showing installed rotor tip relationship all the way down to the
roll pin -- Like the attached photo but with the cap off.) I can't seem to find this
view anywhere on the interwebs?

Cheers --

PS: Again, tip of the hat to SUBURBAN5 for helping to shed more light than heat on
this detailed, confusing subject relating to the "Cam Retard" CMP <> CKP adjustment.

Attachments

• Vortec V8 Dizzy top to bottom shot - Ignition Distributor for GMC Cadillac Chevy Pickup Truck ...jpg
    Vortec V8 Dizzy top to bottom shot - Ignition Distributor for GMC Cadillac Chevy Pickup Truck ...jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can assure you from day 1 the cap was against the plenum to read 0. After several months it read -1 without anybody touching it. I couldn't adjust it more because it was maxed out. Now I have space to rotate the cap if it should "move" which seems correct because I rather have cushion read 0 then have it read 0 but be maxed out.

Your observation makes perfect sense to me. Timing chains stretch the most per mile when they are brand new and
'break in'. Then they will stabilize and run essentially unchanged for their designed 'service life'. And finally the stretch
rate per 1000 miles will accelerate. (See attached bathtub curve below.)

In English, a new chain stretching just enough to cause the CMP sensor at the back of the cam to go from in time with the
CKP sensor on the front of the crank (0 degrees) to now being -1 degree behind after several months makes sense, and is
also a cool factoid that I just saved away for future troubleshooting use down the road.

Thanks for looking. And then sharing the wealth with the rest of us students of the Gen I SBC, Vortec edition. :0)

Cheers -

PS: That 1 degree change is nothing to be concerned about. Given that the dizzy spins at 1/2 crank speed,
there are 719 more of those degrees where that 1 degree came from.

EDIT: Come to think of it, this is reported in crankshaft degrees, so make that 359 more degrees...

Attachments

• bathtub curve - Google Search.jpg
    bathtub curve - Google Search.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread makes me want to hook my scan tool and see what the cam retard is. I think I remember getting it “within spec” and just leaving it because it starts and runs fine.

Never a bad thing to go looking for trouble on a well-running rig
and not finding any. ;0)

It's a good reinforcement of the underlying theory, as well as another
way of improving your Situational Awareness in the engine bay.

There are some in the audience who would (mis)use the cam retard
value as a method to be able to characterize how much wear occurs
at the timing chain and distributor gear mechanical interfaces over
time. You could even make a pretty cool graph, with the accumulated
miles on the X axis, and the degrees of observed additional retard on
the Y axis.

Only problem is, maybe only 3 or 4 other people on the planet could
properly appreciate it? But if I got to visit your workspace, I would certainly
drink it all in while enjoying a cold Guinness.

Then again, if the way you drive your rig you never are able to force any
misfires, then there's no doubt that the arcs from the spinning rotor tip
are finding that the closest terminal *is* the correct terminal.

Life is good. But if you still have to take a peek, believe me, I understand 100%. :)

Cheers --

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am genuinely looking forward to what his engine + VCM tells us once he gets this
gear re-phased, the dizzy back in, and the adjustment is re-attempted?

One last thing, if you could get a Big Picture beauty shot of your dizzy post modification
it would be helpful. (Showing installed rotor tip relationship all the way down to the
roll pin -- Like the attached photo but with the cap off.) I can't seem to find this
view anywhere on the interwebs?

Cheers --

PS: Again, tip of the hat to SUBURBAN5 for helping to shed more light than heat on
this detailed, confusing subject relating to the "Cam Retard" CMP <> CKP adjustment.
These pics were the only pics I took. Sorry I didn't get a full pic but the dimple and pin lined up puts the rotor exactly where it's at. This was before the 180 swap
After switching, the cam now reads 0 and has room left and right for adjustment

Attachments

• 20240225_105953.jpg
    20240225_105953.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240225_102241.jpg
    20240225_102241.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240225_102253.jpg
    20240225_102253.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These pics are before and after. 1 the white line being lined up with the tooth. 2 being the pin being lined in between 2 teeth lined up with the white mark

Attachments

• 20240225_102241.jpg
    20240225_102241.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240225_103514.jpg
    20240225_103514.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 2

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After switching, the cam now reads 0 and has room left and right for adjustment

*YES*

SUBURBAN5, a sincere Thank You for staying the course and performing this
distributor gear re-phasing despite the fact that the 'human-viewable' marks
were all correct?

You have really proved the point that it is whatever the signal that the VCM
sees is what really matters. And even higher on the food chain is ultimately
the engine. (ie: Does the engine approve/enjoy what the
VCM is feeding it?
:0)

@Schurkey, how about that? You were still right about the poor people
halfway around the world putting together today's dizzys without a QA
safety net underneath them?

Between the dimple, the roll pin, and the white mark (for the humans)
we have 3 variables. (3) Factorial = 1x2x3 = 6 unique ways those three
items can be set up. 5 are wrong, and only 1 is correct.

It looks like we can't even rely upon the 'factory' white stripe to be a
reliable indicator? Yet another case study where the vehicle owner is set
up for failure because QA in the aftermarket arena is not in the house?
(Because old OEM level QA is just too expensive...or just underappreciated?)

SUBURBAN5, Nice Job. Both you and I are very relieved that the solution was
the simpler 'mechanical phasing' error (despite the way the stupid dizzy
was evidently mismarked) ...as opposed to having to wade through all that
signal integrity mish-mash that I was holding in reserve as troubleshooting
Plan B.

Congratulations. And thanks for documenting what you went through
in order to get this sorted out.

Cheers --

Attachments

• How many ways can 3 variables be organized -  Permutations (Ordered Arrangements).jpg
    How many ways can 3 variables be organized - Permutations (Ordered Arrangements).jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
*YES*

SUBURBAN5, a sincere Thank You for staying the course and performing this
distributor gear re-phasing despite the fact that the 'human-viewable' marks
were all correct?

Nice Job. Both you and I are very relieved that the solution was
the simpler 'mechanical phasing' error (despite the way the stupid dizzy
was evidently mismarked) ...as opposed to having to wade through all that
signal integrity mish-mash that I was holding in reserve as troubleshooting
Plan B.

Congratulations. And thanks for documenting what you went through
in order to get this sorted out.

Cheers --
I can't take the credit. I would of never guessed to rotate the gear 180. Thanks for the help. This has taught me how to gain half a tooth lol. I appreciate all who chimed In as well because with out all the help and walk through I would of still been at -7 probably replacing a "stretched" chain or inspecting the cam for abnormal wear. Just to turn around and see everything is "wearing" normal lol
Hats off to you sir

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow that was quit a bit of info. Took a few times but I think I got it. So here's the latest. YES same scanner as day 1 and same oem parts. Only thing changed was the upper intake removed and installed for a lifter inspection/adjustment.

Truck was at the shop because it wasn't running nor idling when I got done. Family member with a automotive shop took in the truck and found it was a faulty map sensor. Upon testing and retracing My steps they looked and tested all over the engine. Meaning valves,rods, pistons, compression and electrical signal. He and another veteran mechanic checked signal from cam and crank using some fancy machine that checks wave length. According to them everything checked out.
When they removed the distributor they lined up the pins and inspected the position of the rotor.

Fast forward a few days best they could do was -7. They used a different bidirectional scanner but got the same reading as my original scanner.
There conclusion is the timing chain could be stretched.

* -7 degrees after intake manifold removed and replaced. (Hint: Think about how vertical height of dizzy affects rotor{shaft} position.)

Now in my case. No I did not mark before and after the distributor was removed. Just like the -1 degree was from a few months ago.

...But I figured a timing chain shouldn't stretch between 4 or so months of regular driving and not towing...
Yes I do like to speed but even then we're talking what 5 degrees to get it to spec?

* " -1 degree was from a few months ago."

I agree. I'm not by any means having second thoughts. I'm just trying to understand what changed or worn to make the truck read -7.

...As long as it reads 0 I'm happy. Just like, as long as there's no squeaks, pings, ticks, and popping lol.

...I guess I'm more or less worried about what the veterans/friends told me being stretched chain, sprocket worn, loose bolt or bolts allowing something to tweak since the motor new.

* again, the -7 reading was made after the intake manifold was removed and reinstalled. (Round 2)

I can assure you from day 1 the cap was against the plenum to read 0. After several months it read -1 without anybody touching it. I couldn't adjust it more because it was maxed out.

* I think this is the true and total CMP 'Cam Retard' signal drift due to the timing chain. From 0 to -1 degree.

@SUBURBAN5, you had me wondering about where did the the extra 6 degrees of CMP <> CKP skew come from?
Was it chain wear? Instead of declaring victory over achieving the zero reading and forgetting this detail, we must
account for this discrepancy before we go before the Impound Board. :0)

Seriously, I think I have the answer. In chronological order:

1) When you originally installed your 383, you were able to just get the -0- reading by forcing the dizzy up against
the manifold. Maybe not a perfect visual match for the engines that came off the GM assembly line...but it worked.

2) Months later you rechecked and it was -1 degree. Makes sense given normal break-in, still in spec, not a problem.

3) Now you change the intake manifold gasket. Now I'm inferring a bit here, since there was no before vs after intake
manifold height measurement made, but I *do* know that as I raise or lower the distributor, due to the curvature in
the cut of the gears, the distributor shaft (and rotor tip, and the CMP sensor setup) is affected by the up and down movement.

I don't know for sure if the intake manifold distributor mounting surface ended up higher -or- lower the 2nd time around
versus the 'months ago' 1st time around, but there was a change. And *that change* is what caused the -1 degree reading
to move an additional 6 degrees away from what it was. (!)

Your timing chain is *not* stretched several degrees. Maybe a degree total since original installation, so now that we've
accounted for where the additional timing skew came from, now you can relax and enjoy that 383 a little bit more. :0)

And as troubleshooters we have incontrovertible proof that there is a vertical component to the Vortec-specific CMP Retard signal.

No doubt there's a Mechanical Engineering guru out there somewhere who can translate every .001" of elevation change into
another fraction of a degree of difference in the CMP Retard signal. And if the difference is great enough, then you may
be forced to flip a 13-tooth dizzy gear in order to give you the needed dizzy clocking/swing room to dial in your Vortec dizzy
without having to jam it against the intake in order to get it as close as possible.

Summary:

I think that your dizzy gear was 180 out when you first put this engine together. However, due to the way that the tolerances
stacked up, by rotating your dizzy hard against the manifold you managed to get your CMP Retard adjustment to just come in.

When you went in to replace the intake manifold gasket (Round 2) the way the assembly tolerances stacked up you now had a
head-scratching 6 additional degrees of timing skew? WTF?

Dude, I've love to be a fly on the wall when you lay all this out to the guys in the garage that helped find the bad MAP sensor
and then were puzzling over this adjustment. They won't believe it. Good thing you took photos.

And again, thanks for cheerfully seeing this whole thing across the finish line. By doing so, you have cleared up the worry
about a bad timing chain. And thanks to the fact that you had proof of the original vs new Cam Retard readings, we were
able to infer to a high degree of confidence that there's a vertical component to where the distributor housing versus the
rotor tip ends up. (Not to mention that pesky CMP <> CKP 'Cam Retard' timing skew measurement.)

Good stuff. One of the reasons that folks participate in these forums is to gain valuable insight into all the hints & kinks
in our GMT400s and their powerplants. I know I feel like I'm leaving with more than what I came with at the start of your
CMP-a-thon. :0)

Cheers --

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
*Summary:

I think that your dizzy gear was 180 out when you first put this engine together. However, due to the way that the tolerances
stacked up, by rotating your dizzy hard against the manifold you were just able to get your CMP Retard adjustment to come in.

When you went in to replace the intake manifold gasket (Round 2) now the way the tolerances stacked up you now had a
head-scratching 6 additional degrees of timing skew? WTF?

Dude, I've love to be a fly on the wall when you lay all this out to the guys in the garage that helped find the bad MAP sensor
and then were puzzling over this adjustment. They won't believe it. Good thing you took photos.

And again, thanks for cheerfully seeing this whole thing across the finish line. By doing so, you have cleared up the worry
about a bad timing chain. And thanks to the fact that you had proof of the original vs new Cam Retard readings, we were
able to infer to a high degree of confidence that there's a vertical component to where the distributor housing versus the
rotor tip ends up. (Not to mention that pesky CMP <> CKP 'Cam Retard' timing skew measurement.

Good stuff. One of the reasons that folks participate this in these forums is to gain valuable insight into all the hints & kinks
in our GMT400s and their powerplants. I know I left with more than what I came with at the start of your shindig. :0)

Cheers --
since the mechanic is my wife's uncle I told him the good news. He was surprised just as much as me.
Height makes since. This intake it from a lower mileage engine. Since the original has 529k miles on it. Could be slightly thicker? I figured now a good time to change it when I did the valve adjustment.
The theory certainly makes sense.