ordered my tune today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
If you removed all the torque management I highly suggest a bigger trans cooler. I blew mine in two weeks after getting my Black Bear tune

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
If you removed all the torque management I highly suggest a bigger trans cooler. I blew mine in two weeks after getting my Black Bear tune

Well that's what I requested; I don't know if i got it. Once you got your tune, could you chirp them?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess because yours was a truck, you could chirp them. I think they may have messed up with my shift points and torque management removal (I asked for 100% removal and firm shifts, with extended shift points, all across the board), or my burb is just a pig, but there isn't a chance I could get my tires to chirp, at all. It shifts at 5000 rpm from 1-2 and 2-3 and 100% throttle, every time. I expected 5600 to 5900. Tried power braking to do a burn out, no go. I am on 33's with heavier wheels, so that could be a factor too.

I'm on factory steelies and factory size 235/75/R15s. 3.42 rear end gears, though. To be honest it would only chirp them into second once in a while before my 4L60E rebuild. As mentioned, I removed 100% of factory torque management and my trans died pretty quickly afterward as well. When I had it rebuilt I spent a little over $2K and beefed everything up. Fancier frictions, HD band, Superior billet servos and a TransGo HD2 shift kit. After that it started chirping them religiously, and on wet pavement it's borderline scary. Even on a dry surface if I floor it from a dead stop it'll light them up with no brake persuasion. Mine shifts at about 5600RPM at WOT, but once again it's the V6 so I'd imagine they let it rev a little higher than the 350s. Less to turn and all.

EDIT - Also you have to keep in mind that 4WD Suburbans are generally just heavy beasts by nature. Lots more weight over the rear, and I'm sure your bigger tires help keep things planted. Mine will spin the tires if I really want it to, but I have to work at it a lot more than I do in the truck.

Last edited:

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
Well that's what I requested; I don't know if i got it. Once you got your tune, could you chirp them?

With my 3.73s and 35s it always struggled to spin the tires. Once I got the tune it'll spin them like nothing. I also put a Corvette Servo in my new transmission to help it out a little bit. With my 14 bolt and gov bomb it'll slide all over the place when I floor it

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
With my 3.73s and 35s it always struggled to spin the tires. Once I got the tune it'll spin them like nothing. I also put a Corvette Servo in my new transmission to help it out a little bit. It drives like a completely different truck though man. I think you will be very happy with it
I already got mine, but I can't spin them and I'm on 33s with 3.73s. Flooring it or power braking, just can't do it. Maybe my truck is just a whole lot more tired than I thought.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
I already got mine, but I can't spin them and I'm on 33s with 3.73s. Flooring it or power braking, just can't do it. Maybe my truck is just a whole lot more tired than I thought.

Oh yeah you should be able to spin them easily if you removed your torque management. I wonder if it does have anything to do with the weight of a burb vs a truck?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder if it does have anything to do with the weight of a burb vs a truck?

I'm sure it does. Like I said, my 'burb has always been more reluctant to break loose than my truck, even before I started changing things. Although I am kind of surprised that it won't spin them at all. 99Subourbon, are you sure everything is in good working order? I noticed in your other thread that you said you could hear some engine noise after you installed your tune, has that gone away since?

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it does. Like I said, my 'burb has always been more reluctant to break loose than my truck, even before I started changing things. Although I am kind of surprised that it won't spin them at all. 99Subourbon, are you sure everything is in good working order? I noticed in your other thread that you said you could hear some engine noise after you installed your tune, has that gone away since?
I've got what I think to be some lifter chatter, but that's about it. However, there is some weird gurgling noise, but coolant levels are good and running temps are good, not sure where it's coming from.

I don't have any codes, and it runs better than it did before. This is my first 350 though, so I don't have anything to compare it against. Was raining pretty good today, and in that I can break it loose, but as soon as it shifts into 2nd it stops; full traction. I also no longer hear my intake when I get on it. Prior to tune and exhaust, it sounded like an open 2 barrel carb.

I've always thought it was a pig. Prior to the tune, max uphill speed (mountains here in AZ) was around 70 mph reasonably, unless I wanted it scream at 6k rpms.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
G80s in both of my trucks. The one in my V6 truck is on it's way out, though. Doesn't always work when I want it to and works when I don't want it. Keep in mind that once you get over 15mph or so it should unlock and behave like an open carrier if it's working correctly.