91 TBI Tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WannaBe1Ton

Reaction score
I’ve been doing a lot of reading about tuning and data logging but it’s hard to answer specific questions and it seems people opinions vary quite a bit so i have a couple questions i’m looking for feedback on.

I have 91 K2500 with a 350 and 4l80e. I am considering going down the rabbit hole of tuning with a flash chip or something and tuner pro. Questions-

As of now it’s pretty stock. I built the engine last year has about 6k miles on it. Has some small stuff done to it
-Stock crappy swirl port heads but they’ve been ported a little
-rebuilt tbi with injector spacer i believe it had some porting done to it and i just have an open air filter
-it has a better crank than stock from different 350 doubt that means anything
-full exhaust. stainless headers, 3 inch pipe, good muffler, no cats.

trans is under 15k with a shift kit in it.

First question. How much if any would tuning benefit me at this stage? with having no cats and a good exhaust i imagine tuning would at least slightly improve it?

Even if a tune won’t help much now i want to put a cam in and get an adapter plate so i can put a better intake and maybe heads, i have a couple options for that.

Second question, can i do anything transmission wise with the tuning software? Shift points, line pressure lockup etc?

Third. I’m still a little fuzzy even reading thru threads here about tuning. I know i’ll need a cable and tuner pro but what about the ecm side. Something about replacing the prom with a flash chip or?

Thanks for any help guys

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went from a stock, then lightly modified 5.7. It was very happy with just a bought chip. Then I went down the rabbit hole and bought a tuner, put a 406 under the TBI and tuned it. If you only want to take full advantage of what you have, a chip is cheap, easy, and foolproof.

OBS Torres

Reaction score
I went from a stock, then lightly modified 5.7. It was very happy with just a bought chip. Then I went down the rabbit hole and bought a tuner, put a 406 under the TBI and tuned it. If you only want to take full advantage of what you have, a chip is cheap, easy, and foolproof.
What chip and where do you purchase? I also have a 5.7 and am planning to do light modifications.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What chip and where do you purchase? I also have a 5.7 and am planning to do light modifications.
I got the 'Stage 1' chip from Brian Harris at TBIchips.com- which seems to be down right now, check it out as we go. I know there are a couple differences that matter with the particular chips, and mine is for a 4L80e/5.7.