Need some sas advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I know its been asked before and Iv read about it for days but I need some help. I just wanna make sure Iv got everything. Ok so on axle I think a d44 if I can get away with it I wanna run in the 40 inch tire range. If d44 will work what years am I looking for? Will I also run the rear axle outta the same truck since Ill need an upgrade from my 10 bolt? What gears would I need for around a 40. Im thinking like a 6 inch spring for a 80s style chevy but dont know if any year is better than others. Would that be a good amont of lift for the tire size? Also I think I could make my brackets but if not whats the best kit. I know I need a steering kit and do I need to change something on the axle? Just basicly if someone could just give me a simple list of what all Im gonna need would be great them more i read the more confused I get. Also the best I can tell I wanna move the axle about a inch forward from were it sits now?

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I know you said you have read but it really doesn't sound like it.
Which axle you can run really depends on if you feel like changing your t-case or keeping your stock case, so that needs to be answered before we can answer that question.
If your getting a 44 front end more than likely the rear end is of the same caliber. A lot of chevys with 44 fronts have 10 bolt rears.
Your not gonna be able to run 40s on a 44 unless you wanna replace parts just as often as you would on ifs.
Your gonna need bigger than a 6 inch spring, running a 6 inch spring on most bracket kits will net you 9 inches of lift. Do you think you could run 40s on your 9 inches now?
There is no "best" bracket kit, it is all pretty much the same and up to what you want.

Dragit

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trust me iv read probably like 25 build treads lastnight alone. I mainly what im trying to say is iv been looking at them for years and no 2one people have ever done it the same, so I really don't know were to go from here. Figured if I gave you guys an idea how big I wanted and what size tire I could get a little help on what axle to run ext. So I wanna keep my stock t case and run a ford axle that's why I asked if I would also run the ford rear axle. So sounds like I need a d60 outta a f350 like a 79? On springs more like a 10 inch lift for a 86 k5 blazer? Also I seen skmewere someone used like a rear leaf spring hanger off a 80s chevy truck for there rear front mount looked pretty good anyone else done this?

GreaseDog

Pickup Artist
Reaction score
for the brackets if you can weld check out http://www.bigredchevy.com and theres alot of info about SAS on that site.
and then look at his *********** of a front crossmember, and realize you shouldn't be following his advice on how to tie your shoes, much less build a truck...
You must be registered for see images

single shear shackle... FAIL
You must be registered for see images

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Yes for the front your gonna want a d60 for sure. 78-79 would be beat to use because of the spring perch width but the newer leaf sprung d60s out of f-350s will work too. If you go with a newer axle you will need to choose wheels wisely so that your 40s don't rub the leaf springs when turning.
For the rear axle just run a 14 bolt.
For the front springs get you some 3-4 inch lift 52s those will give you 7-8 inches over stock and with the brackets it'll be around 11 inches of lift which with the axle positioned right will allow you to run 40s if you don't mind being stuffed.
I have seen a few on pirate run the hanger you are talking about and it looks like it works but beyond that I know nothing of it and probably wouldn't run it myself.

chevyboy98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
to me his front crossmember looks good but ive never done a sas befor nor have i really looked into them, its funny how hes trying to sell the crossmember's