Need Advice on Headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emily115

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I searched for something with the information I need and I didn't find anything. If someone knows of a thread that has already discussed this, please let me know.

I recently bought a 1995 Silverado K1500 extended cab. The headliner was horrible. I've taken the headliner out and removed all the original fabric and foam. Now I need advice on how to put on new fabric. Can I use regular fabric or should I get headliner fabric? What adhesive should I use that will work in colder temps (I live in Michigan, warmest I can get is my 50 degree f garage)? And should I strengthen the board with something? I attached a picture of the board from when I was removing the old fabric and foam. PLEASE NOTE: I now have all the foam and fabric off. It is just the yellow/orange material.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you in advance

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went to JoAnns fabrics bought some headliner material that was really close in color(grey) and used some Wurth high temp spray can adhesive(3M has one as well) when I did mine. It worked fine. There are a few upholstery pro's around here that maybe will chime in. A hand wire brush is good for getting the half loose stuff/remaining foam off. Kinda rub over it without bearing down hard.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my old 94 I bought some foam backed headliner material and used a water based contact adhesive that I applied with a spray gun. I had two people hold the corners of the material just above the fiber board and lightly pushed down in the center and worked it out to the edges.
It turned out great and looked just as good fifteen years later when I sold it.
I was just thinking about that job as I was typing this and remembered that I used some 1/4” closed cell foam and cut it out in the shape of flames and glued it to the fiber board before the headliner material. The material was black and you had to look closely, but you could see the impression of the flames. It was pretty cool for the 90’s.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was just thinking about that job as I was typing this and remembered that I used some 1/4” closed cell foam and cut it out in the shape of flames and glued it to the fiber board before the headliner material. The material was black and you had to look closely, but you could see the impression of the flames. It was pretty cool for the 90’s.
Wth! No pictures? lol

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You want to use headliner material because that thin layer of foam prevents the texture of the headliner board from showing through the fabric. If you just put plain thin fabric on there, it won't appear smooth, and you'll also see any lines/globs of the glue. The trim panels that directly touch the headliner won't fit correctly either and they'll rattle/buzz since the thicker headliner fabric isn't there to push against the trim.

Use some gentle work with a wire brush to remove the rest of the foam; go slowly at first so you get a feel for it. You don't want to go crazy and rip up the fiberglass board with the brush.

When you spray the adhesive, try to not make any big globs or runs of it. When you lay the material down you want to use a very light pressure to push it into the glue, because if you press hard, the glue will come right through the foam and you'll have a permanent dent there.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found some, now remember these are pictures of pictures from a disposable camera right around 99-2000.
Emily I’m sorry for highjacking your thread, I’ll stop now.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Nice? ^^^ That’s motivation.