Need some help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Okay to start off the truck is not throwing any codes except for a p0118 which is coolant temp sensor circuit high which I don’t think is the cause of my problem due to that code being there for a little over 6 months. I washed the truck this weekend and as I was driving around a little bit after it wouldn’t go past 60 then 45 then 30 and now 18 without the rod shooting up like I’m just reving it. It don’t accelerate until after 3,000 rpm’s. What could be the cause that I’m not thinking of? Could something have gotten wet? If so what? Also it will get up to 60 just high rpm’s past 3000 to get to that point. I’ve done replaced the fuel filter, air filter, replaced the EGR cause it threw I code for that yesterday still no fix. I also took the MAF sensor off and cleaned it.

Reaction score
CTS is actually a super critical sensor for calculating how much fuel to spray, you should fix that asap.
But why would it just start acting up after 7 months? I highly doubt that’s the problem I’m dealing with currently. I replaced it and cleared the code 7 months ago and it was back on in a week

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What vehicle are we talking about? What year? What engine? Automatic or manual transmission?

You're saying you're revving the engine, but your speed isn't increasing?

Were you washing inside the engine bay?

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay to start off the truck is not throwing any codes except for a p0118 which is coolant temp sensor circuit high which I don’t think is the cause of my problem due to that code being there for a little over 6 months. I washed the truck this weekend and as I was driving around a little bit after it wouldn’t go past 60 then 45 then 30 and now 18 without the rod shooting up like I’m just reving it. It don’t accelerate until after 3,000 rpm’s. What could be the cause that I’m not thinking of? Could something have gotten wet? If so what? Also it will get up to 60 just high rpm’s past 3000 to get to that point. I’ve done replaced the fuel filter, air filter, replaced the EGR cause it threw I code for that yesterday still no fix. I also took the MAF sensor off and cleaned it.

To be perfectly honest I'm having a little trouble understanding your problem description.

Are you saying that it feels like the transmission is slipping until the engine reaches 3000 rpm?

If so, then you need to check the trans fluid level immediately.

If not, then please give us a little more detail, starting with Year, Model, drivetrain, etc.
(For example, I drive a '99 Chevy C2500, 454/4L80-E, etc...)

Thanks in advance --

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The fact that you replaced it 7 months ago, does not mean it is fixed or was fixed when replaced. The code tells you that you have a problem in that circuit and does not say, "You have a bad CTS". Plus, what brand replacement did you use? @Schurkey preaches all the time that the diagnostics need done. You could replace the CTS 10 times and never fix the problem

Reaction score
What vehicle are we talking about? What year? What engine? Automatic or manual transmission?

You're saying you're revving the engine, but your speed isn't increasing?

Were you washing inside the engine bay?
It’s a 1998 k1500 with the 5.7 automatic. Yes once it hits 15-18 mph it won’t accelerate unless it hits 3000 rpm’s or more until that point just sounds like it’s reving. No I washed the outside of the truck (hood was closed) although I sprayed and cleaned the fender wales and underneath the front end don’t know if something could’ve got wet and not throwing a code.

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest I'm having a little trouble understanding your problem description.

Are you saying that it feels like the transmission is slipping until the engine reaches 3000 rpm?

If so, then you need to check the trans fluid level immediately.

If not, then please give us a little more detail, starting with Year, Model, drivetrain, etc.
(For example, I drive a '99 Chevy C2500, 454/4L80-E, etc...)

Thanks in advance --
It’s a 98 k1500 with the 4l60e, trans fluid level is fine. It’s not like it’s slipping to better explain when I’m at a dead stop and start accelerating it acts 100% fine until it reached 15-18 mph and it wants to rev after that point as if it’s in neutral or park until it hits 3000 rpm’s or higher. During that time the speed doesn’t drop

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a 98 k1500 with the 4l60e, trans fluid level is fine. It’s not like it’s slipping to better explain when I’m at a dead stop and start accelerating it acts 100% fine until it reached 15-18 mph and it wants to rev after that point as if it’s in neutral or park until it hits 3000 rpm’s or higher. During that time the speed doesn’t drop

This feels like a transmission issue to me. The 'E' in 4L60-E means that there is
continuous electrical signaling between your VCM and the transmission, but even
so I don't know how washing the truck could adversely affect the wiring harness between
the two? Have you had any issues with your 4L60-E before now?

I'm going to step aside & hope one of our transmission gurus can step in and help suss what going
on with your K1500...

Reaction score
This feels like a transmission issue to me. The 'E' in 4L60-E means that there is
continuous electrical signaling between your VCM and the transmission, but even
so I don't know how washing the truck could adversely affect the wiring harness between
the two? Have you had any issues with your 4L60-E before now?

I'm going to step aside & hope one of our transmission gurus can step in and help suss what going
on with your K1500...
No, no issues till I washed the truck. I rode around with the computer scanner the truck was shifting fine to 4th with no slip. Don’t know if washing it could have something to do with it or just a coincidence something happened then.