My new 1996 k2500 eclb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
with the pittman and idler arm check the power steering gearbox, sometimes thats the cause

Interesting, thanks, I'll check that out.

What, not enough spare parts to fix it from other trucks laying around? :rofl:

Funny you mention that. I just pulled two wheel bearings off my K2500 parts truck to put on, and a set of shocks off my K1500. The wheel bearings didn't have any play, I don't know how long they'll last, but better than spending $550 I don't have on new ones. The shocks were brand new on the K1500, still have paint on them.
So right now I'm just looking at the tie rod ends, sway bar links and pitman and idler arms...not too bad.

If it was ME, I would sell a couple trucks and buy one nice GMT400. I've dealt with a few problem trucks, spent more on a nicer truck and have been very happy that I did.

Agreed. Trouble is finding a GMT-400 3/4 ton in any kind of shape is very difficult around here. Pretty much all been used hard. I wouldn't be above going to an '800 if the right deal came along, the only reason being that I can't find much for decent '400s.

I'd only buy another 1500 if a stupid good deal on a truck in amazing shape came along...nothing against them, just not heavy-duty enough for me.

I did find one in a classified recently in Quebec, about 5 hours away. It was a 1998 RCLB K2500, 7.4/NV4500/14FF with 3.73s, red, in almost perfect shape (lots of good pictures). I think it had 200'000 kms, and IIRC they wanted $6000. If I had the money I'd jump on that so fast...

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks, I'll check that out.

Funny you mention that. I just pulled two wheel bearings off my K2500 parts truck to put on, and a set of shocks off my K1500. The wheel bearings didn't have any play, I don't know how long they'll last, but better than spending $550 I don't have on new ones. The shocks were brand new on the K1500, still have paint on them.
So right now I'm just looking at the tie rod ends, sway bar links and pitman and idler arms...not too bad.

Agreed. Trouble is finding a GMT-400 3/4 ton in any kind of shape is very difficult around here. Pretty much all been used hard. I wouldn't be above going to an '800 if the right deal came along, the only reason being that I can't find much for decent '400s.

I'd only buy another 1500 if a stupid good deal on a truck in amazing shape came along...nothing against them, just not heavy-duty enough for me.

I did find one in a classified recently in Quebec, about 5 hours away. It was a 1998 RCLB K2500, 7.4/NV4500/14FF with 3.73s, red, in almost perfect shape (lots of good pictures). I think it had 200'000 kms, and IIRC they wanted $6000. If I had the money I'd jump on that so fast...

hell if that was in Iowa I woulda bought it

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Guess I haven't updated lately since I haven't done much to the truck other than drive it. Put wheel bearings, CVs, shocks, sway bar links, brakes etc. in the front end, have yet to do the tie rod ends. They aren't actually that bad just a tiny bit of play in an outer and the idler arm.

Also the fuel pump started quitting intermittently, I re-wired it as it was spliced together in a hurry before and re-did the ground. Thought all was well but it started doing it again. Replaced the relay. Same thing.

Ended up pulling the sending unit/pump from the tank to find the wires inside were slightly burnt up/melted running from the pump electrical connection up to the connection at the top of the sending unit. What caused this, I don't know. Anyways, I scrounged the wires I needed off an old sending unit I had an went on my merry way.

Also been busy with a couple work trucks in the yard. Have some wiring to do to a '98 C3500HD (6.5/NV4500) and I've been stripping down a 1994 GMC K2500 light duty (5.0 TBI/NV3500). It needs brake and fuel lines (done), a throwout bearing, body work and a tune up. Picking away at it, slowly.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
keep it up- all those little things are all part of keeping a truck going. I think I might need to do brakes in mine again soon... :nono:

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
Yeah, they eat through them pretty quick. Especially fronts.

They have me confused- early mornings I can hardly tap them without them squealing like pigs. I think to myself, "Yep, bout time to get them done" But five minutes later I'm backing out of a gas station and it doesn't squeak. Is there something that actually 'warms up' in a brake system? They only seem to make noise when I am going less than three miles an hour and the vehicle has been turned off for about eight hours. When I'm coming home from work, they don't make any noise leaving the parking lot. I think I just redid the fronts within eight months to a year. :think:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
They have me confused- early mornings I can hardly tap them without them squealing like pigs. I think to myself, "Yep, bout time to get them done" But five minutes later I'm backing out of a gas station and it doesn't squeak. Is there something that actually 'warms up' in a brake system? They only seem to make noise when I am going less than three miles an hour and the vehicle has been turned off for about eight hours. When I'm coming home from work, they don't make any noise leaving the parking lot. I think I just redid the fronts within eight months to a year. :think:

I'm not sure about your situation but I know sometimes cheap brake pads squeal in the morning. Usually better ones aren't so bad. Get what you pay for.

Also, rust can accumulate overnight on bare metal if you're in a humid climate and cause a bit of noise. Not sure I would describe it as a squeal exactly, but it's annoying.

Pull a wheel and have a look at your front pads. If they wear indicator is touching the rotor, replace them. It's like, $25 for a decent set of pads...

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I'm not sure about your situation but I know sometimes cheap brake pads squeal in the morning. Usually better ones aren't so bad. Get what you pay for.

Also, rust can accumulate overnight on bare metal if you're in a humid climate and cause a bit of noise. Not sure I would describe it as a squeal exactly, but it's annoying.

Pull a wheel and have a look at your front pads. If they wear indicator is touching the rotor, replace them. It's like, $25 for a decent set of pads...

I'll keep that in mind when I get my wheels off- they were SUPPOSED to be good brakes but who knows :nono:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Started painting my truck. Got the tailgate and one box side done. Using tremclad rust paint, 3-parts blue 1 part black and 1 part paint thinner, rolled on with a foam roller. Very matte as expected, tough, and looks surprisingly good. Sorry the truck is so dirty but I was too lazy to wash it. I also need to get some paint for the bottom half of the box to match the flares.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach