1996 K2500 Shift Position Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody111

Reaction score
Hi All,

First post here.

I have a 1996 K2500 with a 5.7L and I believe the 4l80e automatic transmission (8 lug wheels).

The issue that I am having is when I shift from R to N, I can fill it physically shift to a new position, but the gauge indicator doesn't change to N. Then when I shift to the next position, I believe its physically in D but the gauge shows N. And then I can only shift it down to 2. Then when I shift it back up it all seems fine and in the right spots on the gauge. But it seems that some sort of gear position indicator isn't working between R and N. I checked the cable and its fine. I tool it off and manually shifted the transmission by hand and it did the same thing. So it seems the issue is somewhere on the transmission side.

I just bought the truck and it doesn't have brakes at the moment so I can't drive it. I do have all 4 wheels jacked up.

I am new to this so trying to learn how to work through things on my own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The gear selector switch on the left side of the transmission is the culprit. Either the wiring, connector, or the switch is faulty. The selector lights are controlled by that switch.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for the response. I'll try that
Have a heat gun or hair dryer handy so that you can melt the dialectic grease that otherwise hardens into a concrete-like substance preventing you from disconnecting the harness from the manual lever position sensor (the thing that @JOHNGAAA1 is referring to in his above post). Then it's two 13mm bolts to take it off...You may need to pry it off as the selector shafts are often a bit rusty/corroded..

Clean the selector off with a drill/wire wheel or some emery cloth then coat it with Vaseline or grease prior to installing the new one so that you don't break it...Buy two of these things and keep the extra one in the vehicle at all times.

If the MLPS malfunctions such that the Park or Neutral signal to the PCM is interrupted you will not be able to start the truck (see my video on this problem for more details). So I always keep spare Neutral Safety Switches and/or MLPS in all my vehicles along with various relays, fuses, segments of wiring harness, etc at all times.

Cody111

Reaction score
Success update:
The part must have been replaced already once before, I was able to get the connectors off decently easy.
Changing the part was easy and new one worked well. I did have to rotate the new part a bit within the two mounting bolts as the P didn't light up initially.
Once I did that all was well.

Thanks everyone for the help.