My cheap, slow and lazy build. 1996 C1500 Ext cab. Long bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just a little update here

I painted my tailgate with the '$50 paint job' technique. I plan on doing the whole truck when I get the time.
You must be registered for see images attach

I didn't use a high density foam roller. I used a kit from lowes that supposed to be for non-textured walls. but somehow it's got a texture to it, which is good because I suck at painting. this is flat white btw

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also threw some primer on my hood recently, this is after sanding (it doesn't look much different in this pic than it did before sanding)

I did this with 2 rattle cans of rustoleum auto primer. It got dust everywhere but it all wiped off. my hood is nice and smooth now

here is what I want the truck to look like after I paint it. I'm also going to do the inside of the bed black

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got cocky with the tailgate and decided to do the whole truck using the $50 paint job technique and flat white rustoleum. BTW do a ton of research before you do this, and take weather factors into account and allow time to dry between coats, etc. also use a sprayer if you have one it'll make everything easier. I used a roller and I wish I didn't

I was under a time restraint when I did this and screwed up in lots of spots because of it. take your time. and only do this if your paint is %^$# already

before

after

it looked like hell after the first day but once I put on another coat I can live with it now. I just have a ton of wet sanding to do