MY '96 RCSB Silverado LQ4 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alwayssomethin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So Ive lurked here for a while, semi active, Mainly active over on GMFS (alwayssomethin), but found much good info here, so figured Id throw up some of my build, just gonna copy and paste to begin with....

Alright, so Ive been here forever, but I decided since Im fixing to start busting ass on this truck, Id start a thread. This was my first vehicle. Bought from my dad @ 15 years old...RCSB 2WD 96 silverado, all power, ultra silver/black/light gray interior.

Didnt start with much haha....
You must be registered for see images attach

In Sept 09 truck was broken into, insurance tried to total, fought it, got a check, fixed, and came out like this

When I bought my crew cab, the brakes locked down, took to a shop because I didnt want to fool with it, it sat forever, I finally went and picked it up, oil spot on driveway kept frustrating me, members tempted me, it was tired after 265k, so here is how she sits now...

Will be beginning to strip factory harness, cleaning, painting frame, replacing a lot of front end components and body bushings here in the next week or so. then will be ready to sit the motor/trans in, work on my wiring, fuel, and all the good stuff like that. when I get through, itll be back to chevy front clip, sport grille, smoothie front, NBS rear bumpers. Will probably have re sprayed pure silver/carbon black w cowl hood.

pics of front end stripped, painted the frame with a black/hammered finish, all control arm bushings etc. replaced w moog problem solvers

after my 2" belletch procoils.

TBSS 243 heads/drivetrain/intake I picked up for $350, will likely have a local guy port/polish before installing on the 6.0. In time I also picked up a TSP 224R 114LSA cam, patriot gold dual valve springs.

Alwayssomethin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decided to give the undercarriage/frame some more attention

Pulled my brothers old truck that was stolen and drivetrain robbed around the shop, will be pulling the rear and putting in mine as it has a 3.73 and G80, and 40K+ less miles on it.

also pulled some body bushings, cleaned up all the hardware and sprayed some paint, going to be running Energy suspension black bushings. Cleaned up and painted some stock spring hangers getting ready to tackle the suspension soon.

Jegs Delivery....

Did some more cleaning on the frame, a lil self etching primer.

This is how the truck sits tonight. I also built my 04 GMC while slowly messing with this truck, it was totaled, and bult my 06 silverado which I daily during this time frame.

So, as it sits now, final plans will be:
03 LQ4 ported/polished 243 heads
patriot gold dual springs
TSP 224R 114LSA Cam
TBSS intake w 87MM TB
TBSS bucket seats
4/6 drop
03-06 cluster

Ordered LSHD timing set today, just need an LS6 oil pump, 7.4 pushrods, X link, likely some gaskets and ARP hardware, and itll be really ready to start doing work.

ls6firebird

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
awesome truck! im doing a 5.3 swap in a 4x4. in the trucks, what power ranges are the truck intake (5.3 or 6.0), ls6 intake, or tbss intake the better choice? ive been debating between the 5.3 and tbss on mine.

RPMGraphics

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nice project!!!!!
i'm doing an LS1 swap into my 96 x-cab right now. just a few more parts & i should be done soon.

Alwayssomethin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement guys, its been a lot longer build than anticipated, but Ive found myself wanting to replace things, and just make sure no corners are cut, and between the 2 crew cabs and all that, then the snowball effect on mods...ill finish one day haha...Oh yea, forgot, I also have a Circle D 3200 Stall that will be going in as well.

awesome truck! im doing a 5.3 swap in a 4x4. in the trucks, what power ranges are the truck intake (5.3 or 6.0), ls6 intake, or tbss intake the better choice? ive been debating between the 5.3 and tbss on mine.

from my research, I didnt want to mess w the modding for the car intake, and like the truck intake covers (particularly TBSS), ive seen dyno of 5-15 RWHP gain from the tbss over on PT.NET, say you lose power in parts of the powerband with the ls6, youll probably see less gain with tbss if not upgrading to the bigger TB

nice project!!!!!
i'm doing an LS1 swap into my 96 x-cab right now. just a few more parts & i should be done soon.

Ive tried to keep up with your truck here and there. Love the color on it. Will be ordering some more stuff from you soon also.