My 454SS's, now that's alot of S's.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Yea its the '92 *** 454, but I plan on putting the 4.3L gears in the back. And I already have bulit the trans thats in it. So we will see where that takes me.

It sure does run better, now that it is running on 8 instead of 5. lol.

I will get better daylight video tomorrow once I clean the yard.

Nice job! Like all the pix!
Just wonderin' though, Didn't those trucks come with 14 bolt/4.10 rear? Or were there optional ratios? Did they change from year to year?
My 4.3 with the 4L60E came with 3.42's(posi) & my other truck, with a 4.3 & the NV3500 5spd, has 3.08's (non-posi)

3.42's would really be able to take advantage of the BBC torque with the 700R4 behind it! Probably give you somewhat better mileage, but that depends on the driver, doesn't it?:evillol:

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im still checking to see which truck would have had the best ratio. Im still learning Chevy's, remember I am a Mercedes Mechanic. lol.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Both my trucks are 10 bolt rears. Impossible to fit those gear sets in a 14 bolt, although you could get similar ratios for the rear that you have. I may be wrong, but I believe those rear ends in the 454SS's use the Gov-Lok posi carrier. Apparently they're O.K. in the 14 bolt series, not so much in the 10 bolt. They're not interchangeable, just the same style. If the 14 bolt Gov-Lok carriers are anything like the 10 bolt style, they are near impossible to work on. They like to make ratcheting noises when slowing down, & they don't always lock up like a 'real' posi does. Eaton or Auburn styles are much better.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All good suggestion's. I'm trying to keep it so that anyone reading can do the same exact job, with the same exact results.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
That's why I like all the pix!
Forgot to say...nice job on the aircleaner. The before & after is a big dif! Along with the rest of the engine & compartment.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still have to clean/paint under the cab, the frame and transmission, rear frame and whatnot. I will get pics of that too. I still have to shine all the hose's in the engine bay along with replace the bumpers and grill. Paint the core support, change the blinker fixtures with the new ones, change all the exterior lights, fix the fog's. Oh and change the condensor and make the A/C work again.

I already know I have to fix the o2 circuit, the wiring under the cab is messy. And it all need's to be re-wraped.

Daytime video and pic's from under the cab tomorrow.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going to be a little slow with pic's and video. It's raining in L.A. today.

You must be registered for see images attach

More to come.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some more pictures and a few video's.

And Video.