My 454SS's, now that's alot of S's.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pictures and video.

You must be registered for see images attach

After I get the Burned up 454 done, I will hopefully have that 140.057 I have been looking for, then it will Be back to a Benz.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nitro hose, fitting, who know's? The guy I bought it from, said he hit the nitro, and boom hood blew up, but not off, and a fire ball insued.

96twodoor: You will be able to see the progress right here on it. Because the Benz guys have been giving me the cold shoulder lately.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As men tioned above, 454SS trucks use the 14 bolt corporate rear axle. No rear end parts from a 4.3L V6 truck will interchange. There are not many gears available for the 14 bolt.

1990 454SS trucks have 3.73 gears with a T400 non overdrive trans.
1991-1993 454SS trucks have 4.10 gears with a 4L80E overdrive trans.

There are a few aftermarket options available. I have 4.56s in mine. I wanted 4.30/4.33 gears for mine but were not available at the time. I have heard that someone is now making them. I don't have time right now to look, but I don't believe anyone was making a 3.42 yet. I wasn't looking in that direction when I swapped my gears out.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what your saying is even if I changed the entire rear end, I couldn't put the V-6 rear end into it?

*got to take the starter off of the white one to go get one that does not have a messed up solenoid.*

Pictures in a few.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took the starter off, the guys down at the G.M. store finally got it in.

And while under it I was looking for leaks of any kind.

Damn lower line is leaking at the fitting, so I guess I better get new one's.

You can see the pooled oil on the fitting.

More to come.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
With the BBC's, I'd say stick with the 14 bolt. The 454 SS's are the only GMT400's that came with that rear end. Highly sought after, & fairly rare. They'll take a ton of horsepower & a mountain of abuse. The 10 bolts in these trucks are a weak link, especially with any kind of horsepower/torque in front of 'em. Outer bearing issues, tiny axle shafts, & the factory gov-lok posi's are poop.
I had 3.55's behind my BBC stick shift car. Didn't really turn on till 30 mph. Couldn't drive in 4th at that speed. It would chug against the cam. 3.73's would have been better for around town, & I probably would have gotten better city mileage, because I had to horse it to get any kind of street performance. But after 30mph? Oh man! Second gear pull was amazing! The top-end charge was like a freight train! Highway cruising was O.K. Fairly decent mileage, for a lumpy cammed carb engine, & no overdrive. The 4 spd auto with overdrive, and fuel injection will get you better than the 12MPG that I was getting. And that's based on Imperial gallons. 20% larger than the American measurement for a gallon.

Last edited: