My 1997 Teal K1500 Build/Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worked on LEDs for the Avalanche tonight (Quick Specs: 2006 Charcoal gray (another word for light black) Chevy Avalanche without any molding or side plastics.). What a *****! AH! So frustrated! The first one went in so smoothly and if I would have read the write-up I found properly, I wouldn't have a problem but the kid posted a pic of how NOT to solder one switch up and posted below the picture, in the finest damn print possible "please note, this is BEFORE I had to turn around the LED/resistor." F*CK! AH!

And the Avalanche is leaving tomorrow morning at five so yippy-skippy I get to wait another week til I can put it all back together...

Last edited:

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Worked on LEDs for the Avalanche tonight. What a *****! AH! So frustrated! The first one went in so smoothly and if I would have read the write-up I found properly, I wouldn't have a problem but the kid posted a pic of how NOT to solder one switch up and posted below the picture, in the finest damn print possible "please note, this is BEFORE I had to turn around the LED/resistor." F*CK! AH!

And the Avalanche is leaving tomorrow morning at five so yippy-skippy I get to wait another week til I can put it all back together...

Take any pics?

Sent from the legion of doom

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take any pics?

Once its done I suppose I could take some and post em. Mind you, my camera is sh*t. I'd have pictures of all the LED work I've done to my truck if it weren't for the fact they look like a blob of light when I take a picture of them in the best conditions possible.

All I did was put cool white (which actually looks like pure white IMO) flat head LEDs in them cause my dad was getting pissed that the lights in his steering wheel were going out. Its his truck, actually its the only "nice" truck he's ever owned and he loves it to death. So I'm doing my best not to f*ck anything up... lol Funny, cause thats how things normally end up when you work on them this late at night.

If you meant pics like a walk through, I'll PM you the walk through I found and am currently using.

I wanna put a steering wheel with switches in my truck in the worst way but I feel it'd be WAY too much dicking around and beyond my capabilities. One day though, I'll own a 96-00 truck with a GMT-800 steering wheel with switches...

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
I'd like to see it. Lol. Really digging the whole led thing. I got a buddy with 06 cc so pics would be awesome haha

Sent from the legion of doom

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still waiting for the Avalanche. I think I'll work on the volume/seek and the prog/source/onstar buttons tomorrow night. I'm sick of vehicles.

Today was Tractor Day at school and I got to use my speaker setup, which was nice. But what do I get to do when I'm done at 11 o'clock? Help a friend whose been begging me to fix some stuff in her car, work on her car. In fact, I worked on it in the parking lot till the end of the day PLUS I had to solder her headunit harness at my house cause the guy who installed it just wrapped the wires and put STRAWS over them. Straws. Yes. What a tard.

And I wouldn't normally *****, but I didn't get paid or laid or even a thank you. Kinda felt walked over on this one. Too bad I couldn't get her speakers to stop rattling though.

UPDATE: Apparently my "step-mom" thinks the steering wheel lights that are in are "too bright" and she wants them dimmed. Ugh. I need to get some massive resistors now and redo em. Damnit. God damnit.

Last edited:

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mudflaps work again. Had a bug up my ass yesterday and so I decided to pull my drive-tire mudflap off and see if I could fix it. As expected, the connector was corroded all to hell and broke off in my fingers. I soldered the wires the best I could and wrapped em with electrical tape. Once they die again, I'm done with them. As I've said before, they are cool and were cool while they lasted but there is a reason you never see them anywhere. I'm hoping it at least lasts the entire summer.

Buddy of mine who put a 6" suspension lift for prom flipped his torsion keys and lowered em a bit and now his truck sits proper. Now that he has that fixed, he wants to keep the truck. That means I get to do some LEDs for him. Yee-Yee.

Last edited:

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thinking about ordering some clear corners for my truck. I think that'll give it a major different look. Plus everything else on my truck besides my taillights are either chrome, black, or teal. Why not clean it up with some clear (which have that shiney stainless steel/chromey look to them) corners. Can't be too much I wouldn't think.

Next plan for the truck is fog lights underneath the license plate and wiring em up to my OEM fog switch. While the dash is apart for the fog switch, I'll look into why my tachometer doesn't work. Hopefully get that all figured out.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bad news though: shes been throwing the same codes VERY OFTEN lately and I think I might have to either take it to a shoppe or have some friends help me out. Its throwing "Cylinder 5 misfire", "EGR Malfunction" (mind you, I cleaned my old one, and then just bought a higher end replacement and the BWD is still on the block) and "O2 Sensor Malfunction" (the one behind the cat). My science teacher told me a couple months ago when this first occurred that it was most likely my head gasket going out and that I oughta replace em all. Mind you, he apparently overhauled his first engine at age 16 and his dad was a mechanic, so I trust his word. Wouldn't mind hearing second and third opinions before I try to tackle this with some friends cause I do NOT want my truck to sit in a shoppe unless it CANNOT run. So far, I would never know I've had a problem if it weren't for the SES light.

Keep in mind, this started occurring not too long after I did a low-budget tune up to see if that would fix what later turned out to be a clogged EGR valve.

Beat the piss outta my truck last night off-roadin' at the local quarry. Mudflaps held up and the rest of the truck seems just fine. I needs to super-clean it inside and out someday soon but I gots no time. Wish I had the time to install them fog lights and order me some dually marker lights for under my tailgate too, but with graduation and graduation parties, I can't scavenge up the time to do anything besides drive my truck.

I kinda wanna put two or three amber lights behind my grille too but I'd need to see other setups before I finally decide.

ALSO thinking of doing a red/green mix for my dash. Thinking of putting red behind my HVAC, which will then match all my indicator lights (minus those damn gear indicators) and the night mode text on my HU.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tailgate latch/activator arms disconnected again. God damn truck. The one time I actually needed to drop the tailgate and it locks up. Could be worse. I could have a tailgate that keeps falling off. Knock on wood.

The SES lights stays on now. Should do my headers sometime soon. F*ck this truck is starting to piss me off. All the time and effort I've put into it and its kicking me in the ass. Highschool students shouldn't have POS trucks that need fixin' every corner it turns.

Sumbitch

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy sh*t. I haven't been on here in forever. I don't miss it though.

OBS Obsession on Facebook gets questions answered faster and at times it has less small talk and bullsh*t than on here. The forum is good for finding write-ups and getting ideas.

Only thing I hate about OBS Obsession is it seems its a sh*t-load of kids (relative term, seeing as I'm 18 and kids to me are pretty much anyone younger than 28) that make loads of money and drive candy-painted SAS-ed trucks with gawdy 20 inch plus rims. Just my view on it...

Not a whole lot thats new with the truck. I do have a legit list that I wanna get done this year.

Before October:
Rockers sanded down, fiber glassed, and POR-15 coated. Then rattle can primer, rattle can matte black enamel (2-3 coats) and either clear coat or herculiner.

Tailgate top and bottom sanded down, body-filled and POR-15 coated. Rattle can primer and two coats of rattle can matte black enamel.

Hitch receiver sanded down, POR-15 coated, rattle can primer and two coats of matte black enamel.

By the end of the year:
Replace both mirrors with ***-crap replacements

Clear corners for grille

Fog lights; mounted underneath the license plate bracket unless a GMT-400 diesel bumper can be found

Fix/Replace broken tachometer. Possibly just replace entire gauge cluster

Red LEDs in HVAC

Fix whatever the hell is throwing codes. Damn EGR valve and cylinder five misfires are ******' me off. She still runs though.

UPDATE: Recently had my codes read when I stopped for oil change supplies and I am no longer having cylinder misfire problems. Just my EGR valve. Thought replacing the EGR valve would solve the problem (16 year old part on a Wisconsin winter truck, enough reason to doubt its ability to function anymore.) however, that is not the case. Looks like I'ma gonna have to take er off and rinse her with Seafoam.

Last edited: