Cadillac with a 5.7 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OhmanSWE

Reaction score
bought a cadillac not too long ago, previous owner put in a L31 5.7L 350 vortec from a chevrolet express van 1997.
The previous owner put it in just to test and see if everything works.
Now it's time for me to clean it up in the engine bay and make it look nice.

Anyone have any tips on what to do about the ugly air filter?
as far as I know, the engine has both map censor and air mass censor so still have to get everything working although I would like it to look nicer.

are there any engine covers available that will fit?
like something similar to the 4th picture.

Any chance to modify a old round ”carb airfilter” and somehow get the maf and map censor to work??

Sorry for my bad english, Im from sweden and i dont know all the names for the parts on english

Thanks for any advice and tips!

Attachments

• IMG_9628.jpeg
    IMG_9628.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9376.jpeg
    IMG_9376.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9310.png
    IMG_9310.png
    763.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9308.png
    IMG_9308.png
    572.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9863.png
    IMG_9863.png
    493.3 KB · Views: 11

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome, nice Caddy! 1965 or 1966? I had a couple 1968 Coupe de Villes years ago; great cars. Almost bought a 1965 Coupe but the paperwork got lost and would've been too expensive to deal with for a project-level car.

That Vortec engine cover pic is from the LS style engines so it won't fit your older generation, and unfortunately there's not really anything equivalent for them.

You could probably piece together an air intake from aftermarket parts that may look better than what you currently have. There might be some aftermarket dress-up items that cover the engine a bit but I'm not sure what's available for the older generation engines at this point. The newer LS engines have all kinds of crazy stuff that lets you dress them like an old school engine.

Believe it or not, this is an Oldsmobile Rocket style dressup kit for a modern LS3 that my dad has swapped in his '49 Olds.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
For what it's worth, this is what your engine looks like in its factory configuration - in a pickup truck, not a van (they're mostly hidden in a van, under the doghouse compartment.)

The square black plastic box on top of the throttle body is a resonator, sort of a tuned hollow box that cuts down on some of the air noise through the intake.

MAF (Mass Airflow sensor) is at the far left of the accordion tube, between it and the air filter, which is in the large ribbed box next to the fender. That draws its air from a hole in the fender which is fed from the front of the vehicle which has a duct in the radiator support, behind the passenger side turn signal.

Your MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor is simply pushed into the intake manifold so it's not dependent on your air intake setup.

By the way, the large idler-style pulley opposite from the alternator, is a bypass pulley from where someone removed the A/C compressor in this example. It looks like your Caddy has been setup in the same way, coincidentally.

Richard

OhmanSWE

Reaction score
Damn! I would not belived that was an ls3! Looks really nice! :D
It’s a deville 1966!

So then I will probaly need to take som tubes an try to get the filter to the side or somthing‍ kinda like in the pic bellow.. Probaly will look a bit cleaner atleast.

Do someone know if it possible to program the ecu to only rely on the values from the map sencor? Kinda bypass the maf? I know it possible to do so on newer engines

Attachments

• IMG_9309.png
    IMG_9309.png
    679.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

OhmanSWE

Reaction score
For what it's worth, this is what your engine looks like in its factory configuration - in a pickup truck, not a van (they're mostly hidden in a van, under the doghouse compartment.)

The square black plastic box on top of the throttle body is a resonator, sort of a tuned hollow box that cuts down on some of the air noise through the intake.

MAF (Mass Airflow sensor) is at the far left of the accordion tube, between it and the air filter, which is in the large ribbed box next to the fender. That draws its air from a hole in the fender which is fed from the front of the vehicle which has a duct in the radiator support, behind the passenger side turn signal.

Your MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor is simply pushed into the intake manifold so it's not dependent on your air intake setup.

By the way, the large idler-style pulley opposite from the alternator, is a bypass pulley from where someone removed the A/C compressor in this example. It looks like your Caddy has been setup in the same way, coincidentally.

Richard
Thanks for the reply and info on the map/maf! :D
Yea it dont really look pretty even in a orginal truck but it sure does it’s job! But im going to try to clean it up a little.
The engine itself runs really good!

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Do someone know if it possible to program the ecu to only rely on the values from the map sencor? Kinda bypass the maf? I know it possible to do so on newer engines
Which transmission do you have? My 4L-80E behind a 5.7 Vortec gives hard upshifts without the MAF sensor. Unpleasant, but worse is that the transmission without MAF sensor runs at full line pressure all the time (default setting when no MAF sensor data available to ECU).

OhmanSWE

Reaction score
Which transmission do you have? My 4L-80E behind a 5.7 Vortec gives hard upshifts without the MAF sensor. Unpleasant, but worse is that the transmission without MAF sensor runs at full line pressure all the time (default setting when no MAF sensor data available to ECU).
I have 4L60E